Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moved back to Ireland from US can get Car Insurance

Options
  • 18-09-2016 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Myself and my wife have moved back from the US to Ireland and we cannot get car insurance to cover both of us.

I have a full UK and US license and 5 years No Claims Bonus from the US. My wife has a full US license and 3 years NCB from the US.

One insurer - Liberty - will insure me for EUR1600. I cannot add my wife to the policy unless she has a full Irish license. We are in a position where she cannot use the car - with 3 kids this is a major issue. We have tried all the major insurers and tried Clements International who wont insure a citizen in their own country.

The issue seems to be the lack of Irish license and 1 year driving experience. Any US driving experience or US NCB are not considered My wife now has her provisional but it will be another month - if we're lucky - before she gets the full license.

Has anyone else had this issue when moving back from abroad? There doesn't seem to be an insurance product set up for people coming back home.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

What type of car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

backpat wrote: »
    Has anyone else had this issue when moving back from abroad? There doesn't seem to be an insurance product set up for people coming back home.

Any suggestions appreciated.

It's up to the market - I would get the license changed ASAP. It is about as easy to get insurance in Ireland on a US license, as it is to get insurance in the US with an Irish license I imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Can you convert your licence? I was able to do this in Australia with my irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 backpat

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    What type of car?

2016 Hyundai Tuscon

• Registered Users Posts: 8 backpat

Can you convert your licence? I was able to do this in Australia with my irish one.

No joy. Cant do it with a US license. Also have internation license from US which was redundant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

I'm afraid this is the norm in ireland right now.the insurance companies are being allowed to call the shots.getting you wife's licence sorted is prob the only way around the problem.even then you are going to be screwed six ways from Sunday.sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Thats the way it is unfortunately. You will have to sit a driving test and obtain an Irish driving license,. Until then you will be considered a provisional license holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

backpat wrote: »
    I have a full UK and US license and 5 years No Claims Bonus from the US. My wife has a full US license and 3 years NCB from the US.

If you have a UK licence, then I'd say you're better off converting that to an Irish one asap.

Advertisement