Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language Electives with a Science degree?

Options
  • 18-09-2016 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi I'm just researching on the different courses and elective modules on them and was wondering if it would be unusual for someone to do a Science degree with electives in a language. Do they overlap or is it better to pick electives that work with the course?
    I was thinking of applying next year for a physics degree and doing electives in Japanese or Italian since they also interest me.
    Thanks in advance :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I had a friend doing Linguistics who did an elective in Dissection, so doing a language is probably not that odd. You can do whatever with electives and it can be nice to have someone completely different to give you a break from the heavy duty stuff. If your stuck in science all day, it might be a nice breather. You can change the elective in the first two weeks anyway, and you get a chance before semester 2 if you want to make another change.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Maldesu wrote: »
    I had a friend doing Linguistics who did an elective in Dissection, so doing a language is probably not that odd. You can do whatever with electives and it can be nice to have someone completely different to give you a break from the heavy duty stuff. If your stuck in science all day, it might be a nice breather. You can change the elective in the first two weeks anyway, and you get a chance before semester 2 if you want to make another change.
    That seems pretty interesting, would you know which electives would be more popular than others? I heard languages can go full quite fast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Food, Diet and Health was very popular because everything was multiple choice exams. There is also a Massage elective that gets lots of interest - its a level 2 module, but its an intro module. I'm sure there are others but I just can't think right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

Thanks! That info still helps alot, I have heard some do modules because they are easy but I think I'll stick to something I enjoy instead.

Advertisement