Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any thoughts on this laptop?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Definitely a beast of a laptop, with great specs. I can't see it having any trouble gaming, or using photoshop. The only thing I wouldn't be so sure about is the fact it's a convertible. It's a fad I never really understood. It's a heavy enough machine, so you wont use it like an iPad. But perhaps that shouldn't be too much of a drawback as it can be used as a laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If gaming is a key focus, you'd be far better off getting a gaming rather than ultra-portable orientated model. The GTX950M is a fairly low level card (latest games at 900/1080p low settings), for €1300 you can get laptops with the GTX970M which is more than twice as fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Firstly thanks for the replies. I have set of vouchers for PC world/Currys so thats why I was looking at this one and this store.

I'm not a major gamer, Photoshop once or twice a week, part time college course (lectures are streamed) and watching TV on it when i'm doing stuff around the house.

If there is something else someone would recommend or if they think i should wait another few weeks for something else that is coming on the market, please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

megapixel wrote: »
    Firstly thanks for the replies. I have set of vouchers for PC world/Currys so thats why I was looking at this one and this store.

I'm not a major gamer, Photoshop once or twice a week, part time college course (lectures are streamed) and watching TV on it when i'm doing stuff around the house.

If there is something else someone would recommend or if they think i should wait another few weeks for something else that is coming on the market, please let me know.

Casual gamer who dabbles in photoshop? I wouldn't be best placed to recommend any alternatives as I'm a bit out of touch, but maybe this laptop is overkill for what you'll be using it for? That's a lot of money to be spending if I've picked the tone of your post up correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,326 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thinking of upgrading to a new laptop.
    I will use it for a part time course, some photoshop, gaming and watching netflix.
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/asus-zenbook-flip-ux560uq-156-2-in-1-black/332173/396.0.5

I have spent all day looking online and in store at laptops and the consistent message with these 2 in ones is that the screens are crap, the bezel is way too wide to cater for the hinge and have way too much reflectivity.
    1,200 on a gimmick, get an Apple

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Ive been thinking about getting a mac as u suggested. Is there meant to be a new one coming soon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you want to play games, the Macbook is pointless unless it's games like Minecraft/Counter Strike GO. What kind of games are you looking to play? If you want to keep costs down and have to buy in PC World/Currys, this isn't bad for a retail store and pretty good for light gaming (stuff like Battlefield 4, GTA V, Black Ops 3 would all get by - latest intensive AAA titles wouldn't be brilliant). Full HD, 6th Gen i5, 8GB Ram, Nvidia GT940M, 1TB Hard drive for €699.

How much is the voucher for? Something like this for 1K is a very good price for a retail store and is a good buy if you're bound by a voucher. Pretty decent gaming performance, most new games would run at 1080p medium settings at decent FPS which is excellent for a laptop - it's also leaps and bounds faster than a macbook for editing and photoshop.

If you're more into ultra portability and the games are more in the line of Football Manager and other unintensive titles, PC World have a good range of ultrabooks from Asus and Lenovo. Not saying not to get an Apple, but from a raw performance point of view even a €1200 Macbook is around the same power as a €500 laptop. Obviously the build quality on a Macbook is excellent, but I suppose it depends what's most important to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If you want to play games, the Macbook is pointless unless it's games like Minecraft/Counter Strike GO. What kind of games are you looking to play? If you want to keep costs down and have to buy in PC World/Currys, this isn't bad for a retail store and pretty good for light gaming (stuff like Battlefield 4, GTA V, Black Ops 3 would all get by - latest intensive AAA titles wouldn't be brilliant). Full HD, 6th Gen i5, 8GB Ram, Nvidia GT940M, 1TB Hard drive for €699.

As Terror points out the above isn't bad for light gaming. I'm running a laptop with the lower rated 940M version although I have a full power 6th gen i5. Runs games like DIRT 2, Bioshock etc no problems on full res. I even downloaded Obduction last night and it's playing well on full 1920 x 1080 with high detail on textures but with v sync off and draw distance shortened somewhat (even if I made the mistake of installing on the standard hdd rather than the SSD).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Ive been thinking about getting a mac as u suggested. Is there meant to be a new one coming soon?

As for the Mac. Buying the current generation would be a bad choice. And as for when the new one is due out, it's anyone's guess. It was initially expected in March this year, then June, then September, now maybe next month? Who bloody knows. And my bet is that it will be an even slimmer machine, with less focus on power, and more focus on battery life and portability. Which may not be what you want. And not forgetting that a decent one will cost €1500 and up.

Advertisement