Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless speaker system suggestions please?

Options
  • 17-09-2016 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭

We're getting an extension built & I've a little room in the budget to start off a speaker system, so I'm looking for suggestions.
    • Ideally I'd like something that I can start with one or two units and add to over time.
    • We're an all apple household so airplay would be great.
    • Being able to play the same music throughout the system in multi rooms would be good
    • Being able to play different music in different rooms would also be good.
    • being able to add a totally wireless 5.1 set into the mix would be brilliant.

I've considered Sonos, but I don't think they do airplay (not a total deal breaker) But I feel like Sonos might be the "Monster Cable" of wireless speakers

Anything else in that sort of price range to look at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭JamBur

I bought a Panasonic SC ALL8 for our kitchen, and two SC ALL 3 for distributed sound around the house. Price was good (cheaper then SONOS). Sound is great. I use an android phone which is very flexible with them. My wifes iphone is a bit more limited, but she still streams spotify and internet radio. She can play her local music via panasonics app. The speakers work well!

just to add:
    I can use the speakers as a group or individually. She can use one whilst I use another. They can be configured as a 2.1 system. Adding new units is a doddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

And if anyone knows about bollocks, its him!

If you wanted to go for a cheap single room bluetooth and streamed music via phone setup OP, you could go with a chromecast audio along with one of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-50W-100W-Bluetooth-4-0-Mini-TPA3116-Class-D-Digital-Power-Amplifier-Board-AMP-/142087542494?hash=item211513d6de:g:nmMAAOSwZVlXsuL4
    Just use a couple of second hand speakers and Robert is your fathers brother,

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭JamBur

I tried chromecast, and I was a bit disappointed by it. I know its cheap, but i thought audio from some sources was poor. Whatever way it processes tunein radio, the quality was shocking, even at high bit rates.The other thing is that you still have to turn on\off and switch source manually with a chromecast. Network speakers will do that remotely. (I know its unfair to compare products with a x10 price differential)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

Hi,
    BigEejit wrote: »

If you wanted to go for a cheap single room bluetooth and streamed music via phone setup OP, you could go with a chromecast audio along with one of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-50W-100W-Bluetooth-4-0-Mini-TPA3116-Class-D-Digital-Power-Amplifier-Board-AMP-/142087542494?hash=item211513d6de:g:nmMAAOSwZVlXsuL4
    BigEejit wrote: »

Would that amp work with a Bose Freespace to LG Smart Tv + iphone ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

OU812 wrote: »

I've considered Sonos, but I don't think they do airplay (not a total deal breaker) But I feel like Sonos might be the "Monster Cable" of wireless speakers

That's nonsense. SOnos are top of the pile for very good reason. Utterly seamless. Just works. No messing. The speakers are fine and there's good choice. The software excels. Airplay is irrelevant as you're not streaming from your device - though you can if you want to. Your device is best used simply as a controller and given it integrates from any and all services, support in unparalleled...

Surround TV can be achieved from a soundbar and smaller speakers but that's it.

I know many folks who balked at Sonos and went for Samsung/Panasonic/Bose only to end up back at Sonos and now regret not getting it in in the first place.

If you want something more sophisticated - as in higher end sound - there's Bluesound or Raumfeld for example, but for the sake of simplicity Sonos is the clear leader and for good reason. An attempt to achieve everything in your list is a bodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

I know many folks who balked at Sonos and went for Samsung/Panasonic/Bose only to end up back at Sonos and now regret not getting it in in the first place.

If you want something more sophisticated - as in higher end sound - there's Bluesound or Raumfeld for example, but for the sake of simplicity Sonos is the clear leader and for good reason. An attempt to achieve everything in your list is a bodge.

"Respect"
    As a lazy man system Sonos wins. Turn it on, connect to the network, update and listen to the music. For high rez Blusound dominate (not heard /played with Raumfeld) the market but are costly and offer little 3rd party integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

akaSol wrote: »
    "Respect"
    As a lazy man system Sonos wins. Turn it on, connect to the network, update and listen to the music. For high rez Blusound dominate (not heard /played with Raumfeld) the market but are costly and offer little 3rd party integration.

Cheers! Bluesound is a step up on Sonos in terms of audio quality but it's also about 23/30% more expensive and I'd argue that high res audio on such systems is not necessary. In fact on a 50k Naim / Focal system I struggle to tell the difference between a 16bit and 24bit - it's down to how well the recording is mastered you see and an awful lot of music is not well mastered. I digress...

Raumfeld is an interesting product set and it does sound very good. Support is growing but still immature.

As a Deezer user, I like that it streams to Sonos in lossless FLAC - I have a blend of stand alone speakers and a few Connect Amps... and a couple of regular Connects. As you know well, for all the competition, not one manufacturer can come anywhere near Sonos for the software, ease of use and service support.

It's also family friendly - and in my case wife friendly. I considered moving to Bluesound but she hated the software. Sonos stays or I go!

Advertisement