Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for new computer

Options
  • 17-09-2016 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

I thought I might try for suggestions here. Back in August my mother spilled coffee on her Microsoft Surface Pro 2 while on the ferry to France. She tried to get it repaired this week but it can't be done. So she's on the search for something new. She doesn't want to drop the €850+ for a new Surface Pro.

Budget: €500 but flexible enough
    Use: Word processing, photos, usual internet use and video editing. So needs to be able to take a XD photo card or have a USB port for an adapter.
    Form: It's gotta be portable. Small and light. A netbook size is good but no Celeron or Atom processor (or equivalent). A 2-in-1 form is also good. Even a tablet with the right spec.

I'm wondering about the likes of this:
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/lenovo-yoga-300-116-2-in-1-black/332122/396.0.0
    But am not sure about the Pentium processor.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What do you mean by video editing?

The one you linked to has a Atom derived processor. Very much suited to lightweight power efficient machines that are not suited to editing video. Editing video is processors intensive, and is better suited to larger fully fledged machines.

This laptop also has extremely limited disk space at 64GB. Fine for general web consumption, but not for storing video. I would consider that machine to be a very poor choice.

Look to laptops in the 13.3 size, with Core i3 processors and as much RAM as you can afford. It should be possible to find one with 8GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,932 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

pajor wrote: »
    I thought I might try for suggestions here. Back in August my mother spilled coffee on her Microsoft Surface Pro 2 while on the ferry to France. She tried to get it repaired this week but it can't be done. So she's on the search for something new. She doesn't want to drop the €850+ for a new Surface Pro.

Budget: €500 but flexible enough
    Use: Word processing, photos, usual internet use and video editing. So needs to be able to take a XD photo card or have a USB port for an adapter.
    Form: It's gotta be portable. Small and light. A netbook size is good but no Celeron or Atom processor (or equivalent). A 2-in-1 form is also good. Even a tablet with the right spec.

I'm wondering about the likes of this:
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/lenovo-yoga-300-116-2-in-1-black/332122/396.0.0
    But am not sure about the Pentium processor.

Any help appreciated.

The Surface 3 is €370 in PC World

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

What do you mean by video editing?

The one you linked to has a Atom derived processor. Very much suited to lightweight power efficient machines that are not suited to editing video. Editing video is processors intensive, and is better suited to larger fully fledged machines.

Nothing too intensive. Loading video off camera to cut, change speed and add voice over.

If HD space is limited, external drives and cloud storage are fine.

Noted about the Pentium processor, I think she should steer clear of it too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nothing too intensive. Loading video off camera to cut, change speed and add voice over.

If HD space is limited, external drives and cloud storage are fine.

Noted about the Pentium processor, I think she should steer clear of it too.

There's nothing inherintly wrong with that type of processor. The low end processors have come a long way from the days of Atoms being useless. They're generally quad core and very capable of day to day tasks. But I would expect it to be slow encoding video, even if the changes are minor to the videos, encoding it as a avi when finished editing could take a while!

At the end of the day, this machine is a modern day netbook, meant for web consumption. External storage can be a major pain in the arse if they will be using this as a portable machine, but that's up to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

My mother decided to fork out for a Surface Pro 4. She's in the UK atm and picked up a SP 4 with the Microsoft keyboard case for £728 in Argos. Exact same thing in Argos in Ireland is €1104.

It's definitely the spec she wanted!

• Advertisement

My mother decided to fork out for a Surface Pro 4. She's in the UK atm and picked up a SP 4 with the Microsoft keyboard case for £728 in Argos. Exact same thing in Argos in Ireland is €1104.

It's definitely the spec she wanted!

Can't go wrong there! Lovely machines, and a bargain at that price.

Advertisement