Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build or buy - budget €400

Options
  • 17-09-2016 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Hi there

We're looking to replace a Dell Insprion 9200 for the young fella.
    It was just about able to run his games on low settings (Ark, Spore, Minecraft, Lego games)

Thing is don't know whether to buy a used PC or start a new build.
    Very challenging budget I'm afraid.

Would we be better off starting a new build or going with a second hand rig ?

Any thoughts on this one - or any suggestions ?

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/unboxed-new-custom-asus-rampage-iii-i7-gaming-machine/11093080

1. What is your budget? [€400]
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Gaming PC
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    VTX3D Radeon HD 6670 1GB 1024MB GDDR3 PCIExpress Graphics Card
    2 x 2 GB DDR2 RAM, 2 x 1GB DDR RAM
    120 GB SSD
    320 GB HDD

5. Do you need a monitor? Not right now
    5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 22" LG monitor
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Not really
    8. How can you pay? Bank/Cash/Paypal
    9. When are you purchasing? ASAP
    10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [ Kildare]

Thanks in advance !!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The one you've linked is quite old and a dead end in terms of upgrading the CPU - it would still perform OK on the latest games but overall you're better investing in at least a 2nd gen i5/i7 based machine which are better equipped to take on the latest games and do have upgrade options.

Building new on €400 is a challenge but not impossible - an i3-6100 Skylake CPU, 8GB DDR4, H110M motherboard, Radeon RX460 2GB, with a 400W PSU and a budget friendly case should cost you around that, and you already have an SSD and hard drives for storage.

If you're willing to travel on a quick look this is an excellent purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

Very tempted by that PC you linked to alright

Have this so far on PC Picker

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (£92.91 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS5X Performa CPU Cooler (£14.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£94.94 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£38.79 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 460 4GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (£128.88 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case (£30.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Corsair CSM 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£42.24 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £443.70
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-17 16:04 BST+0100

The stock cooler that comes with the i3 is fine, no need to buy another. Build is solid otherwise. PC the guy is selling for €300, I'm sure he would take a few euro below that so potentially it's almost half the price of building a new machine like what you've outlined - the RX460 is faster than the GTX750Ti but the i5-3330 is considerably stronger than the i3-6100.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Why not to get best of both worlds? Try to get that pc off adverts and sell 750ti, then buy rx460 amd you got yourself a very damn solid machine for 400eu.

Tor the build with the postage on top and paying someone to build it it'd be well over budget.

Anything I should be asking or looking at or checking on the PC before I make an offer ?

• Advertisement

What about this one for 300 ?

Dell Optiplex 7010
    Intel i7-3770 processor @ 3.4Ghz
    Windows 7
    Nvidia gtx 750ti oc edition (2gb)

http://www.adverts.ie/desktops/flight-sim-pc-package-i7-gaming-pc/11350698

Case seems a bit crowded but very good CPU ?

I spotted that as well, amazing value but the sellers negative feedback put me off recommending it...

I spotted that as well, amazing value but the sellers negative feedback put me off recommending it...

Am going with the i7 - negative feedback is for time wasting so not so serious.

Thank you for your advice folks.

Do you usually do anytbing re the windows licence, like re register under your details or anything?

Advertisement