Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Gaming" Routers, are they worth it.

Options
  • 17-09-2016 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I'm living in a a very rural area out in the middle of nowhere and don't have the best of internet. I've done a few internet speed tests recently but the highest download speed i got was 4Mbs and 44 ping. But often im getting lows of 0.5 - 1Mbs with a ping of 66. I think my ping isn't that bad but that download speed is really annoying during online gaming.
    We don't have a router in the house at the moment so i just have a ethernet cable running from my modem to my pc. Would getting a "Gaming" router improve my online experience with features such as the prioritizing(QOS i think) of my pc for gaming over say my brother just browsing. Or would spending upwards of 70 euro on a router only offer minimal improvements.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I may be wrong but I was always of the opinion that gaming routers were a gimmick. Whenever anyone mentions one on boards it seems to be a waste of money. Plus, if you are already hard lined, I don't see what benefits you would see.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jack kelly

Thanks for answering. Yeah definately don't want to be spending money on a gimmick, i suppose if its not going to actually boost my speed then i guess my question is, is it worth the money just for the option of prioritizing my pc over over someone thats just browsing in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Jack kelly wrote: »
    Thanks for answering. Yeah definately don't want to be spending money on a gimmick, i suppose if its not going to actually boost my speed then i guess my question is, is it worth the money just for the option of prioritizing my pc over over someone thats just browsing in the house

Effectively the larger the pipe the easier it is to police so that one user can't demand all the bandwidth, because your router doesn't properly control the inbound traffic volume.

At lows of .5, any attempts to police the bandwidth will give a very limited return.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your options really are:
    A - Ban everyone else while gaming, then a 4/0.3 ADSL pipe will be ok
    B - Get a second connection so you arent competing with siblings

Its likely the family won't agree to either though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Is there any of the point to point internet providers in your area? Might be worth considering

• Advertisement
Advertisement