Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PURE TELECOM tales….

Options
  • 16-09-2016 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Pure Telecom won't let you open any ports on their Technicolor TG588v v.2 router so all you can really do with their fast broadband is fool around on the web and check your email. You don't need 60Mbit/sec access to do that! And, by the way, the access speed on fiber is indeed great.
    So if you want to play games, VPN, or try any of the many, many other uses you are up a creek. I tried and tried and tried to open some ports and it's no use! I have had other routers before and know how to open ports and it's obvious that the ports are blocked somewhere deeper.
    Being rather unhappy about that I called Pure Telecom help and a tech listened to me and said he could not open the ports himself but promised to send me instructions. I gave him my email, spelled it out, repeated it and waited. After 1 hour I checked my email. Nothing. 2 hours. Nothing. No mail. No instructions. So I called again. This time I got a woman tech who told me that I got it all wrong!! That I was never promised instructions, that they only sell internet access and not technical support and they would not help me open any ports. To my comment that this makes the internet access extremely limited and that was never specified on their webpage she just repeated her formula. She would not transfer me to the person I spoke with originally.
    So that is the sad fairy tale for today boys and girls. Be wise. Be careful. Listen to your brothers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

alameda777 wrote: »
    Pure Telecom won't let you open any ports on their Technicolor TG588v v.2 router so all you can really do with their fast broadband is fool around on the web and check your email. You don't need 60Mbit/sec access to do that! And, by the way, the access speed on fiber is indeed great.
    So if you want to play games, VPN, or try any of the many, many other uses you are up a creek. I tried and tried and tried to open some ports and it's no use! I have had other routers before and know how to open ports and it's obvious that the ports are blocked somewhere deeper.
    Being rather unhappy about that I called Pure Telecom help and a tech listened to me and said he could not open the ports himself but promised to send me instructions. I gave him my email, spelled it out, repeated it and waited. After 1 hour I checked my email. Nothing. 2 hours. Nothing. No mail. No instructions. So I called again. This time I got a woman tech who told me that I got it all wrong!! That I was never promised instructions, that they only sell internet access and not technical support and they would not help me open any ports. To my comment that this makes the internet access extremely limited and that was never specified on their webpage she just repeated her formula. She would not transfer me to the person I spoke with originally.
    So that is the sad fairy tale for today boys and girls. Be wise. Be careful. Listen to your brothers!

Bridge the modem and add your own router giving you full control

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alameda777

Thanks! Will give it a go.

Well, I tried to find a setting for "bridge" but it's not there anywhere. It's one of those
    idiot routers, monkey proof. But I will try to learn more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thanks! Will give it a go.

Well, I tried to find a setting for "bridge" but it's not there anywhere. It's one of those
    idiot routers, monkey proof. But I will try to learn more.

I moved from Eir to Pure last January via a One Big Switch. I was asked by Pure CS if I wanted to use my own Modem and that they would provide the data entries to go into it. I availed of a new one from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alameda777

I am hesitant to buy a modem and then not be able to get into the "bridge" anyway.

In fact when I just signed up for Pure over a month their tech told me he would help me set up my own modem. I will check with Pure again to see if they will go for that. They were rather uncooperative the last time we spoke. In the meantime I am searching the web for help with bridging the TG588v v.2. Not much there. It's a limited router with many functions just not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

I am hesitant to buy a modem and then not be able to get into the "bridge" anyway.

In fact when I just signed up for Pure over a month their tech told me he would help me set up my own modem. I will check with Pure again to see if they will go for that. They were rather uncooperative the last time we spoke. In the meantime I am searching the web for help with bridging the TG588v v.2. Not much there. It's a limited router with many functions just not there.

I switched to Pure and when I realised that the Technicolor router was pants I bought this:

NETGEAR D6400-100UKS AC1600 Dual Band 300 + 1300 Mbps Wireless (Wi-Fi) VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, YouView, TalkTalk, EE and Plusnet Fibre) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UCTXRRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jwe4xb4B8FJKZ

I'd say it's not the best router ever but it's pretty solid and you don't need to worry about bridging or any of that lark..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

mcquaim wrote: »
    I switched to Pure and when I realised that the Technicolor router was pants I bought this:

NETGEAR D6400-100UKS AC1600 Dual Band 300 + 1300 Mbps Wireless (Wi-Fi) VDSL/ADSL Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (BT Infinity, YouView, TalkTalk, EE and Plusnet Fibre) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UCTXRRC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jwe4xb4B8FJKZ

I'd say it's not the best router ever but it's pretty solid and you don't need to worry about bridging or any of that lark..

Are you sure it supports vectoring? Don't buy one that doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

Are you sure it supports vectoring? Don't buy one that doesn't.

Yes, supports vectoring alright, I've been using it for approx a year now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Where did you get the password for the PPP connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 stannman

On big switch deal, I notice "unlimited local and national calls".

Is there a gotcha here on mobile calls or is it much the same as other providers.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

My interpretation of "unlimited local and national calls" is landline only.

If you look at pure's own website, it says
    Unlimited local calls
    Unlimited anytime calls to local and national numbers.
    Discounted mobile calls
    International calls

Also, they have a fair usage policy which is "available on request", would have thought it easy for them to just display it online but it doesn't seem to be there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement