Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Ultraportable advice wanted

Options
  • 16-09-2016 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hello all I have been scouring the forums here looking for recommended machines for college, most seem to be 15" or larger im looking for something a bit smaller, I dont really have a budget but I am a student with limited funds so any money I save could be better spent on other things, I keep coming back to the XPS 13 but it seems way above what I should be spending and seems to suffer from some issues (FHD model Screen brightness, touchpad issues, WiFi issues, Coil whine) its primary use will be web browsing, word processing and maybe some light programming, I have a more powerful desktop for any CAD or Z-Brush stuff I will be doing. I also don't mind buying used/refurbished. Thanks :D

What I want

Smaller than 15"
    Light Enough to carry everyday
    1080p Matte IPS screen
    Minimum 8GB memory
    user upgradeable m.2 ssd/ nvme support - want to use Intel 600p 512gb

not deal breakers
    backlit keyboard preferred
    sd card reader preferred

deal breakers
    core M processors or other ultra-low power and AMD processors
    lower than 1080p
    less than 8gb memory
    above 14" / 2kg
    touchscreen/2-in-1 not wanted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

As far as I am aware, the XPS aren't upgradeable. Unless you're hoping to do some light gaming, buying an XPS would seem like overkill especially if you've a desktop for any programs that require heavy processing power.

Advertisement