Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eve Online goes Free to Play

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Eve is impressive.

But.....

The learning curve takes such a long time I just cant devote that time to a game.

But yeah, the F2P is pretty cool. And if you have some free time, definitely give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Yeah it's a hard game to get into, I'll probably just try and dip my toes into some light piracy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can actually have a lot of fun very early on. There are quite a few early game setups that can be good at catching people out, and you can make some decent cash early on. Just don't be worried about losing your ship, as it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There's some amazing stories that come out of Eve considering it's so player-driven. I think someone even wrote a book of some sort on it. I enjoy just watching from afar, I did try it a few years ago but didn't grab me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Put a good 3 years into it way back when an resubbed bed last year to get my name on the monument in Iceland but honestly I'll never go back it just requires too much time I don't have and you really can't play anything else but Eve if you really want to play it properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

VinLieger wrote: »
    Put a good 3 years into it way back when an resubbed bed last year to get my name on the monument in Iceland but honestly I'll never go back it just requires too much time I don't have and you really can't play anything else but Eve if you really want to play it properly

What blows my mind are the guys willing to maintain 0.0 infrastructure. The idea of spending tens of hours per week going from pos to pos refuelling them, shipping materials via jump freighter etc *shudder*

Zillah wrote: »
    What blows my mind are the guys willing to maintain 0.0 infrastructure. The idea of spending tens of hours per week going from pos to pos refuelling them, shipping materials via jump freighter etc *shudder*

I played it in beta and a good few years after that, I left not long after the introduction of Titans and the game was reaching its peak of player population.

I found blob tactics sucked the fun out of my style of game play which was small scale piracy. I had a -10 character and loved randsoming people in low sec space.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

^^ I'm the same although I probably started a little later but left around the time of titans initially. Have been back since for 2, 6 month stints recently and mostly enjoyed it but safe space is boring and 00 is where it's at but it's about 99.9% flying about in blobs with no one engaging. Wears you out after a while. Having said that once I get through my most recent return to WoW I'll likely be picking it back up again unless World of Tanks gets me first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i jumped in and out of eve over the year's the main problem i always had with it was that i always felt like i was in a single player game with a chat box, and i think it is like that for most new people till they can finally get in some active guild. I dont think the restrictions they have on the f2p model will keep players, they should go all in and come up with a better benefits to subscribe and no restrictions to free players.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i jumped in and out of eve over the year's the main problem i always had with it was that i always felt like i was in a single player game with a chat box, and i think it is like that for most new people till they can finally get in some active guild. I dont think the restrictions they have on the f2p model will keep players, they should go all in and come up with a better benefits to subscribe and no restrictions to free players.

I think it will be fun for awhile, once you hit the f2p roof though it's going to get boring and to restricted.

I'll probably try it out, I've always been a fan of PvP, so if there is no restriction on Corp Wars then it could be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I personally don't like thus f2p. I can already see people abuse it to ****. Don't be scared of hundreds on f2p noobs, be afraid of vetranswho know their ****.
    Suicide ganking will be just out of control, extra spy characters too. You won't be able to jump gate without at least 10 people knowing where you are.

As mentioned above on single player feeling of it. Well, that's sort on thing i loved about it. I could do my own thing and I was not relying in anyone just because I wanted to so something. I had a lot of fun.
    Then I joined faction warfare corporation and it was a lot of fun in other play style. Solo pvp with small ships, small gang roams, smallish fleet roaming. Almost felt like military when you got 20 of you and we got commanders and orders. I loved it.
    Eve is the only proper sandbox mmorpgs that's out there not including all survival games now. Its a shame these it go freemium. They had great system.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

i have played and even dropped back in to spin my ship in f2p. So many memories, all good.

But, i cant devote that time anymore, its like a uni degree and ther's tonnes more to learn since i left 2 years ago.

the f2p model is a very shrewd move, as the player base is slowly declining and the f2p option adds more fodder for the learned capsuleer to plunder.
    They were very slow to add change to the game but competition has forced their had in the last few years. Now they have actual competition. Which seems slightly like abuse of their position previously, but how and ever.

Its a bit late and the millennials are among us so wont be long till EvE is a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how are the other premium MMO's that came out and went F2P?
    From what I can remember ESO, LotR and SW:TOR all went F2P, are there still people playing these?

Advertisement