Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upgrade it or mothball it?

Options
  • 14-09-2016 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I built this machine on the advice from this forum in 2008/9 from Hardwareversand

Article number: HV20D896DE
    Name: 4096MB DDR2 Corsair Twin2X CL 5, PC6400/800
    Stock balance: ready for dispatch
    Price per unit: 87,45 €

Article number: HV203AEHDE
    Name: Aerocool ExtremeEngine 3T silb ohne Netzteil
    Price per unit: 66,28 €

Article number: HV1022UQDE
    Name: ASUS ASUS 8800GTS HTDP,512MB ,NVIDIA 8800GTS, PCI-Express
    Price per unit: 261,43 €

Article number: HVR650CTDE
    Name: ATX-Netzteil Corsair TX650W 650 Watt
    Price per unit: 106,62 €

Article number: HV1126ILDE
    Name: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R ,Intel P35, ATX, PCI-Express
    Price per unit: 89,69 €

Article number: HV20QX66DE
    Name: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 boxed, 8192Kb, LGA775, 64bit, Kentsfield
    Price per unit: 208,40 €

Article number: HV202L2BDE
    Name: Logitech Keyboard Deluxe 250 Black PS/2 (OEM)
    Price per unit: 6,98 €

Article number: HV207E7SDE
    Name: NEC AD-7173A LabelFlash silber DVD+-RW/+-R- Laufwerk IDE
    Price per unit: 32,93 €

Article number: HVZPCDE
    Name: Rechner - Zusammenbau
    Price per unit: 19,99 €

Article number: HV13BI65DE
    Name: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 1TB 16MB 7200 ST3500630A
    Price per unit: 91,13 €

It has run flawlessly for the last number of years and never got switched off in 5 years.

anyway I had to get a new machine for work and this one has to get mothballed or will become a second computer for work.

I'm thinking of upgrading the OS to at least 7 maybe 10 and perhaps giving it a new lease of life with more ram and a SSD and maybe an overclock?

Opinions.. will it make much difference or should I forget it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd put a cheap 120Gb SSD in, but save up for a new build instead - you won't be running newer games at acceptable framerates on this dinosaur ;)

If you find more RAM 2nd hand, that's nice too; just remember that you need a 64bit OS to use more than 4Gb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

That mobo is limited to sata 2, it will be limited to ~300 MBps rather than the 550-600 that newer ssd/mobo combos can achieve. Even so, it will make a huge difference over a regular hard disk.

I don't think the 6600 has got a lot of room for overclocking - the multiplier is locked, so you'll be limited to whatever FSB the mobo/ram can handle. Best guess is that you'd get to 2.6ghz with it.

If you plan to use the pc for anything other than rendering/development/shiny games, it will do the job very nicely for another few years. An extra 4gb of ram would be a bonus, if you can pick some up second hand.

I retired an almost identical rig about a year ago, and it's enjoying a second life running youtube, minecraft and kerbal space program in a kids' play room. It would also make a totally competent work machine (if a little noisy when the 8800 gets going).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Macspower

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'd put a cheap 120Gb SSD in, but save up for a new build instead - you won't be running newer games at acceptable framerates on this dinosaur ;)

If you find more RAM 2nd hand, that's nice too; just remember that you need a 64bit OS to use more than 4Gb.

Yeah sounds like a possibility

That mobo is limited to sata 2, it will be limited to ~300 MBps rather than the 550-600 that newer ssd/mobo combos can achieve. Even so, it will make a huge difference over a regular hard disk.

I don't think the 6600 has got a lot of room for overclocking - the multiplier is locked, so you'll be limited to whatever FSB the mobo/ram can handle. Best guess is that you'd get to 2.6ghz with it.

If you plan to use the pc for anything other than rendering/development/shiny games, it will do the job very nicely for another few years. An extra 4gb of ram would be a bonus, if you can pick some up second hand.

I retired an almost identical rig about a year ago, and it's enjoying a second life running youtube, minecraft and kerbal space program in a kids' play room. It would also make a totally competent work machine (if a little noisy when the 8800 gets going).

This sounds like what I want to do with it. It will be used as a family computer for internet, e mail, you tube, music, YouTube, etc etc . Tbh it's well capable of doing all this already but a little more speed would be nice and a new os.

sugarman wrote: »
    You could always sell the board/ram/cpu and graphics cards, you might get 70quid for the lot.

Another 150quid would be a good budget build for something half decent with your remaining components.

What would you put in it for this kind of budget?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I probably wouldn't bother. €40 on a 120GB SSD and job done. My parent's PC is a Q6600/4GB/120GB SSD and it's perfect for desktop use - browsing, movies, music, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Yup, stuck a cheapo Sandisk SSD in my home PC, intel e7300 (dat price/performance sweetspot in 2008). It didn't really improve it all that much, but it works well enough. My parents mostly use the cheap amazon fire tablet I got them a few months ago now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would say that's a bit dramatic - the Q6600 with 4GB at my parents is used for Kodi and plays HD content including H265 10-bit flawlessly.

If any Q6600 based machine is struggling with standard def video there's something else seriously wrong at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Definitely, even that old workhorse e7200 (mistaken earlier, it is the slightly slower one) can play 1080p video files just fine. Then again, I always have had it paired with a GPU so I'm not relying on the internal graphics, but even without I wouldn't expect it to struggle much.

Interestingly, it looks like my old CPU had some overclocking potential. Might be worth giving it a bit of a kick to see if it can't run for a few more years. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-core-2-E7200,2072-12.html

Advertisement