Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting karate at the age of 36 - help!

Options
  • 14-09-2016 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Ive been doing a couple of bootcamp classes during the week but want to try something that I can learn and keep fit. So Im going to give karate a go. Theres a place in Ranelagh and Im heading there tomorrow but Im absolutely scared out of my mind now. More that I think Im just too old... and with 3 kids I feel like no one wants an aulone in their class. Anyone else take it up later on in life? Im hoping once the first class is done my nerves will settle! I just need to bite the bullet really. HELP!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭SVJKarate

tfarrell wrote: »
    Anyone else take it up later on in life?

Lots of people in our club took it up in later life. Some became instructors.

And 36 is not late. We have members from 7 to 60 in our club.

If you're starting in Scott Langley's club in Ranelagh you'll be fine. Plenty of sensible people there. The trick is to STICK WITH IT for at least a year and then look back at your progress. Don't expect to kick like a teenager, but if you work at it you'll be able to apply power in your technique better than any teenager can.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I started Judo when I was 37 and was awarded my blackbelt two weeks before my 50th birthday, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CLis

SVJKarate wrote: »
    Lots of people in our club took it up in later life. Some became instructors.

And 36 is not late. We have members from 7 to 60 in our club.

If you're starting in Scott Langley's club in Ranelagh you'll be fine. Plenty of sensible people there. The trick is to STICK WITH IT for at least a year and then look back at your progress. Don't expect to kick like a teenager, but if you work at it you'll be able to apply power in your technique better than any teenager can.

Best of luck.

Hi

What karate style do you guys do in the club?

CLis wrote: »
    Hi

What karate style do you guys do in the club?

Shotokan.

You'll find details in the link embedded in my signature.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stee.mc79

I only started in may at 37, did my first kumite at the weekend it was not a good experience it was over before I knew it. Also because of my grade there was only 1 adult to compete with.

• Advertisement

stee.mc79 wrote: »
    I only started in may at 37, did my first kumite at the weekend it was not a good experience it was over before I knew it.

Life is like that; sometimes a 'fight' can be over in a matter of seconds no matter how hard you train, or what style you practise. Don't lose heart, repeated experience makes it a bit easier, though the possibility of it ending really quickly (and not in your favour) never goes away. People who train in MA know this, and that's why they refrain from impetuous or violent behaviour outside the dojo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

stee.mc79 wrote: »
    I only started in may at 37, did my first kumite at the weekend it was not a good experience it was over before I knew it. Also because of my grade there was only 1 adult to compete with.

Well congrats on starting the road.

As said above a real fight is unfortunately a very quick environment. On those occasions I have been unfortunate enough for a real life situation to develop it has been over in less than 20 seconds. In fact a decisive advantage was won eitherway within 5 seconds and the incident continued for a short period less than 15 seconds.

The sizes of kumite groups is indeed a problem for many competitors. As an adult junior outside the college system i would advise you to only go to large competitions if you dont enjoy the experience of hanging around and watching senior gradew compete.

Advertisement