Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD quadcore cpu

Options
  • 14-09-2016 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

Where can I pick one up on a budget......I need a quadcore to run Fifa 17 as I've only an Athlon II x3.......I'm loathe to pay over 150 bucks for just 1 game when everything else runs fine on what I have

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Have you tried playing it on your current Cpu?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Have you tried playing it on your current Cpu?

Yep demo won't run.....minimum specs are a Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz ....can't seem to find anywhere to buy that and don't want to spend crazy money on one either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Yep demo won't run.....minimum specs are a Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz ....can't seem to find anywhere to buy that and don't want to spend crazy money on one either

Some athlons unlock to a quadcore, you could try it, if you want to risk it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Have you actually tried the game, though? Fifa as a series is incredibly undemanding and runs excellently on dual cores and intel integrated graphics. Your tri-core is indeed quite old, but I think it would still be OK for FIFA 17. No way it needs a minimum of a Phenom 965 to run - that's a processor that can manage to get through games like Battlefield 4 online and Fallout 4.

If it physically won't run it's because they're deliberately not allowing it to run, not any inherent lack of processing power, which is ****ty.

You can pick up an X4 on ebay for small enough money. Just check which models your board supports. If it's AM3, something like an X4 630, 640 can be gotten for around €30, or an X4 955/965 for around €50.

If your board is AM2+ only just sell that PC and buy a half decent 2nd hand one for around €200-250.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Fifa 16 runs on the highest specs no problems, I can load the splash screen with 17 but when click play nothing.....lots of problems relating cores and to Radeon HD cards too from reading on the forum, my card R7 260x meets the spec but newer better HD cards won't play it apparently .......tried the unlock a 4th core as suggested above but don't see the option.....my MB is an am3+ socket so might try get a cheap cpu somewhere (or else just buy a real football might be cheaper :D)

• Advertisement
Advertisement