Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Bike on Belfield Campus - How Safe is it?

Options
  • 14-09-2016 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi Boards - I had a search but the last thread on this topic was a good few years old

How safe are bikes during the day as long as they have a decent lock (was looking at a 13mm U Lock as example)

Has anyone over recent years had a bike stolen, or know anyone who has? Where are the best places to park to prevent this happening (+ any other advice and tips)?

Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Andru93

#014917 wrote: »
    Hi Boards - I had a search but the last thread on this topic was a good few years old

How safe are bikes during the day as long as they have a decent lock (was looking at a 13mm U Lock as example)

Has anyone over recent years had a bike stolen, or know anyone who has? Where are the best places to park to prevent this happening (+ any other advice and tips)?

Cheers!

Its general alright tbh. The only place I hear was dogey at times is between newman * library.

Once you bike those cost over 500€ marker you be grand as a lock isn't going to stop then unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

I've locked my bike there for the last 4 years and never had a problem. In fact, I'm pretty sure I left it unlocked by accident from 9-5 one day and it was still there when I came out. I park mine outside James Joyce. Also, get a Kryptonite lock, not just any U lock. The key broke in mine last semester (after using it every day for about 8 years) and we needed a generator and an angle grinder to get it off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Near the Gym there are full on bike lockers if you're very worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

errlloyd wrote: »
    Near the Gym there are full on bike lockers if you're very worried.

I once left mine in tied to one of the temporary bike racks that used to be in front of the Quinn building years ago for a whole month (during the Christmas holidays) and it was still there when I get back. Whats more is that it was one of those crap coil locks. But then again, it was also a crap bike :/

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

There are enough nice (€400+) bikes locked with €5 cable locks in UCD that as long as your lock is good or your bike is crap you're pretty safe.

You don't need the best lock or the worst bike, you just need a better lock/worse bike than the bike beside you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Victoria.

I don't cycle in but leave your bike somewhere busy. By the lake would maybe be a good bet. Friends have never had them taken from there in years.

You don't want to leave it somewhere more secluded like engineering or as another poster mentioned, behind the library / Newman. The behind the library rack has been cleared a number of times because you can drive a van right up to it, cut the locks and be away. No passing traffic or people in direct view makes it probably the worst place to leave a bike.

I'm not sure if the cage outside chemistry is for staff / postgrads but if it's not, that would be my number one place to leave my bike.

Advertisement