Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SCHOOL BUS Waterford City

Options
  • 14-09-2016 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Does anyone know of a private - or public - bus service that collects children from Ferrybank for De La Salle / St Declans?

I have tried Bus Eireann but he isn't eligible as it isn't technically his nearest school but i'm unable to collect him 2 days a week and a bus service would be great. I really don't want to change schools for him at this stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭reni10

The JJKavanagh Public Bus stops at De La Salle school and then goes over to Ferrybank so is that not an option for you?

http://ticketbooking.jjkavanagh.ie/TimeTable/607-617-Waterford-City-Service.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ShelleyBetty

This is my last resort - hes only 9 and will have quite a long walk home alone from the bus and would have to figure out where to get on the bus from De La Salle by himself. Its not ideal but probably what will have to end up doing.

This is my last resort - hes only 9 and will have quite a long walk home alone from the bus and would have to figure out where to get on the bus from De La Salle by himself. Its not ideal but probably what will have to end up doing.

Could you not take the journey with him on the bus for a few days first so he gets used to where it stops and where to get off etc.?
    I am sure the Bus Driver would keep a little eye out for him if he is young and you have a little word with the driver.

Also maybe you can get him to ask if there is anyone else in his class getting the bus and he could tag along etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I wouldn't bank on the bus drivers keeping an eye out for a pupil as after 10 years of using Kenneally's buses for primary school most of the drivers are too cantankerous for that, one of the drivers in particular is equally rude to adult passengers on a non-school run.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Is there an after school club he could go to? I know it's not perfect but there are some clubs that are free of charge of someone in the household is in receipt of a social welfare payment.

• Advertisement

Ive a daughter attending an afterschool club - she is in Junior infants and already find it hard to make the pick up time to collect her 5.45, i work the opposite end of town and finish 5.30pm - they attend different schools and also her afterschool only caters for children up to 7 and they wouldn't collect from town -
    I know, its a bit of a disaster! But even if i found an afterschool for him, i'd never be able to pick the 2 of them up on time. I've advertised for a minder to collect them both and care for them in their own home but with the 2 schools being so far apart its not appealing to anyone. I've had no reply having advertising for the last 6 months.

Really struggling to find a way to work out the logistics bar moving my son from his school or staying home full time.

Why don't you have both children in the same school or at least schools close together?

Seems very disjointed to have 2 siblings in schools on completely different sides of the city!

St Declans is all boys, he had started there before his sister was born.

St Declans is all boys, he had started there before his sister was born.

Is Waterpark or Newtown not available for his sister?

Or even The John of Gods which is all girls?

Probably less hassle moving your daughter in junior infants than you son after a number of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 gagagoogoo

You should advertise for a general childminder, I had one when I was young, she/and her husband in their fourties or fifties, had grown up kids, collected me after school and a younger child she was minding and she gave us dinner, my mam used to pick me up after work around 5.30, everyday. Probably could come to some sort of arrangement 30/40 quid a week. Put up advertisements in local shops

gagagoogoo wrote: »
    You should advertise for a general childminder, I had one when I was young, she/and her husband in their fourties or fifties, had grown up kids, collected me after school and a younger child she was minding and she gave us dinner, my mam used to pick me up after work around 5.30, everyday. Probably could come to some sort of arrangement 30/40 quid a week. Put up advertisements in local shops

Em; I dont think anyone would do that for €40 a week!

The petrol and dinner for the week for the child would nearly cost more than that!

The going rate is about €5 an hour if minded in the Minders home or about €8/10 if minded in the Childs home, then you would possibly be charged extra to collect the child etc.

€40 a week to collect a child from school everyday, look after them and then feed them is a dream!

Jeez, sorry.

Ok so. fiver an hour

15 a day say.
    70quid a week ish.
    Better again if you can find someone near the school the child is going as he or she will collect the child by walking probably or car somedays

The child will eat with the family so no need for extra expenses for the sake of an extra 2 euro for more potatoes or an extra bit of chicken.

70 quid give or take a week at three hours a day 5 days a week; and maybe a discount.

My bad, my mam used to get it for 30 or 40 euro a week but that was in 2006-2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

gagagoogoo wrote: »
    My bad, my mam used to get it for 30 or 40 euro a week but that was in 2006-2010

dont worry about it, you were helping out with a solution and its a good one too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I really feel for you, I spent 9 months looking for a childminder to collect one from school and 1 from crèche and mind from 2 -6 pm. In the end I had to take a year off.

Crèches were no good as they closed at 5.45.

Even now, on the odds day that I'm free to do the school run, I'm often asked if I could do the same for my kids classmates , it is just so hard to find someone.

All I can say is keep trying, put signs in places you haven't thought of like the supermarket or the post office.
    I would say, be firm on what you need and what you'll pay, that way everyone knows what's expected.

Ask the school secretary as he or she knows the childminders collecting children from the school. Public Health Nurses would usually know who the childminders are in an area. Advertise in the post office, library, gp surgery, local shops and ask the parents of your son's friends if they know anyone.

What 2 days of the week would you need someone? are they the same days every week or would it vary? that would make a big difference to anyone that might want to do it.

Advertisement