Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time guitar

Options
  • 14-09-2016 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hey

I'm looking for some help 😊

I'm looking for a basic first timer accotuic guitar.

I've tried to have a look online but there is so many options and I've no clue, does anyone have any reccomendations or could link me to websites that would be amaze 😊

Thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

You can't go wrong with Yamaha, for example:

Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Web Graphic Designer

Yamaha, Fender and even Hohner all do good acoustics.

I'd veer away from anything that's white label or 'too Chinese'.
    Some of the above are made in China, Indonesia etc, but the bigger brands have better QC/QA inspectors.

Best idea is to go 2nd hand if it means a flight case (hard case) included with it.
    Only thing to avoid when playing/testing is if the strings buzz a lot or are too high off the fretboard (warped neck).
    Some music stores have 2nd hand so you can test which one feels the best (easiest) to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭trashcan

I wouldn't buy online if you can get to a music shop. You need to try out the feel of a guitar in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

trashcan wrote: »
    I wouldn't buy online if you can get to a music shop. You need to try out the feel of a guitar in my view.

An absolute beginner isn't going to know what "feel" they're supposed to be getting, and most guitars that I've pulled off most music shop walls have been badly set up and invariably out of tune - so the feel isn't that great off the bat. And even as someone who plays guitar, I find many instrument shops to be off-putting and unhelpful places. I dropped by Waltons in Blanchardstown a few weeks ago, and they were more interested in blaring Audioslave at nightclub volume than letting me or anyone else hear what we were strumming. that said, my wife had a very good experience with helpful staff in Waltons in Georges Street last December when buying me a lovely Taylor GS Mini for xmas.

OP if you know someone who knows something about guitars, bring them along with you to a shop. And tell them to turn off the music. Or just save money buy online. With a reputable site (like Thomann below), you'll have the security of a no-quibble return policy if anything is wrong.

For a beginner's acoustic guitar, I don't think you can go wrong with the Yamaha F310. Some links:

Online: https://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_f310_na.htm

Dublin: http://www.musicminds.ie/yamaha-f310p2-pack.html (this is a pack, they'll proably have the guitar on it's own too, cheaper)

Cork: http://promusica.ie/yamaha-f310-acoustic-guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭trashcan

phutyle wrote: »
    An absolute beginner isn't going to know what "feel" they're supposed to be getting, and most guitars that I've pulled off most music shop walls have been badly set up and invariably out of tune - so the feel isn't that great off the bat. [/url]

I didn't mean it in some "muso" kind of way. Believe me, I'm a fairly basic guitar player myself. I did actually consider your point about a beginner/non player, but do you not find yourself that some guitars just feel nicer to handle and finger than others ? You've no way of knowing that if you buy online, that's all I was saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

The Yamaha F310 is a decent starter guitar, a lot better than most of the cheaper Epiphone acoustics.

Advertisement