Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight delay compensation

Options
  • 14-09-2016 9:46am

Hey, a long haul flight I took recently was delayed by 3 hours. I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to compensation but I'm not sure how to go about claiming it. I googled it there and there seem to be a lot of companies who will chase after the claim for you (and obviously take a fee if successful) and I was wondering if anyone's used one of these companies before, or if it's just as easy to make the claim yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

It's based on arrival time rather than departure time, so you need to compare your actual arrival time to the scheduled arrival.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was it an EU departure and destination?

Eponymous wrote: »
    It's based on arrival time rather than departure time, so you need to compare your actual arrival time to the scheduled arrival.

Yeah, we arrived 3 hours later than our scheduled arrival time.
    Was it an EU departure and destination?

Departure was outside the EU but the destination was an EU airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Question then becomes, was it a EU based carrier

So BA, Aer Lingus you can claim
    United, American you can't

Ah it wasn't, shame! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ah it wasn't, shame! :o

If you were out of pocket because of it, you could still email the airline a copy of your receipts and explain why your out of pocket for those 3 hours

Ah I wasn't really out of pocket per se; we didn't have time to get food during the delay before departure as we were already on the plane when they realised there was a problem and we ended up sitting on it for ages while they tried to fix it before they conceded and found us a different plane, and while we did miss our connecting flight they rebooked us onto the last flight back to Dublin, which we just about made in time (staff weren't very apologetic mind you, we got off the plane in Heathrow after 13 hours and they literally told us to go run for it, flight was in a different terminal and we only had an hour!). I was mainly just annoyed as we were flying Sydney-Dublin so it was already a very long trip with three flights (2 long haul) and a 5 hour layover and I really didn't appreciate an extra 3 hour delay in the middle of it with no food!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ah I wasn't really out of pocket per se; we didn't have time to get food during the delay before departure as we were already on the plane when they realised there was a problem and we ended up sitting on it for ages while they tried to fix it before they conceded and found us a different plane, and while we did miss our connecting flight they rebooked us onto the last flight back to Dublin, which we just about made in time (staff weren't very apologetic mind you, we got off the plane in Heathrow after 13 hours and they literally told us to go run for it, flight was in a different terminal and we only had an hour!). I was mainly just annoyed as we were flying Sydney-Dublin so it was already a very long trip with three flights (2 long haul) and a 5 hour layover and I really didn't appreciate an extra 3 hour delay in the middle of it with no food!

Try your luck sure with an email!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Elirlandes

This is incorrect.
    If it is a non-EU operator, operating into or out of an EU airport, then they are also bound by the compensation rules.

Advertisement