Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment question

• 13-09-2016 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Thinking of getting myself a kit to start out.

Hoping to try an ale or lager first time around. From some research, I could brew out in the shed for the lager and inside for the ale to get the temps approximately correct.

Looking at the multiple options available I was wondering what the opinions on the following fermenter are:
    http://www.geterbrewed.ie/30-litre-fermenting-tank/

Was going to include the tap, plug and airlock also.

Along with that on the same site I was going to add the bottle filling stick, 3kg st peters ruby red with the 48 500ml brown glass bottles, a capper and 100 caps and a plastic mixing spoon.

That all in is approx €120.

To me this fermenter looks better than the other 'bucket' types that are available.

Is there another kit I should consider instead of cobbling together my own and is there anything else that I should have included?

Also if I were to try my hand at wine at a later date is it as straightforward as buying an additional fermenter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Nothing wrong with the bucket for fermentation in my opinion. I just siphon it out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

PaulKK wrote: »
    To me this fermenter looks better than the other 'bucket' types that are available.
    I don't see the advantage myself, but equipment is all about what you're confident with.
    is there anything else that I should have included?
    You'll need a hydrometer, thermometer and trial jar. Remember to take your samples from the top, not the tap. The tap should only be used to empty the fermenter, once.
    Also if I were to try my hand at wine at a later date is it as straightforward as buying an additional fermenter?
    Yep, unless you want bottles with corks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

mordeith wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the bucket for fermentation in my opinion. I just siphon it out.

Ok thanks, would you recommend I just go with one of the kits for 60/70 and leave it at that?

BeerNut wrote: »
    You'll need a hydrometer, thermometer and trial jar. Remember to take your samples from the top, not the tap. The tap should only be used to empty the fermenter, once.

Thanks.. It looks as though one of the kits may be a better shout.

Thanks for the sampling tips also.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭hooplah

Remember to take your samples from the top, not the tap. The tap should only be used to empty the fermenter, once.

Why is this? I've checked the gravity using the tap and figured it was the easiest, and safest [in terms of contamination]. What is the reason to go from the top?

• Advertisement

Would this be a better option, adding some bottles? The brew belt etc looks useful.

http://www.geterbrewed.ie/geb-ultimate-beer-starter-kit/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Would this be a better option, adding some bottles? The brew belt etc looks useful.

http://www.geterbrewed.ie/geb-ultimate-beer-starter-kit/

This is probably better value

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/superior-beer-cider-starter-kit-includes-25lt-fermenters-p-213.html

hooplah wrote: »
    Why is this? I've checked the gravity using the tap and figured it was the easiest, and safest [in terms of contamination]. What is the reason to go from the top?
    You're not making anything dirty if you take a sample from the top. When you run beer through a tap, beer residue stays in it. It's prone to infection and then, when you empty the barrel through the dirty tap you're exposing all the beer to the same point of contamination.
    The brew belt etc looks useful.
    A brewbelt is more likely to ruin your beer than improve it. They're not needed if you live in a house with central heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

RasTa wrote: »

I bought this one last week. Seems straight forward enough, going to give it a shot in week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

You're not making anything dirty if you take a sample from the top. When you run beer through a tap, beer residue stays in it. It's prone to infection and then, when you empty the barrel through the dirty tap you're exposing all the beer to the same point of contamination.

This is where no rinse sanitiser in a spray bottle comes in handy. Give the tap a good spray after samples.

• Advertisement

Well, I ordered the equipment and St Peters Ruby red ale and brewed up tonight.

It's currently out in the shed doing it's thing. Unfortunately my delivery was missing steriliser and a couple of bottling items but I went ahead anyway using Milton no rinse baby bottle steriliser.

I also decided to submerge it in a tub of water + steriliser solution with a fish tank heater set at 20 degrees. The shed gets a bit chilly at night these days. The tap has sterilised cling film stuffed in there too.

Took a gravity reading before pitching the yeast and it seemed to be approx 1040 but I'm not 100% if I read it right.

397550.jpg

I took the fermenter out of its 'bath' today and took a reading. It seems to be at 1016 now.

I had planned on letting it sit at shed temp (10-20 for the past week) for another week.

Should I be OK to bottle next weekend? I'm hoping that letting it sit out for another week undisturbed will clear it up, but should I let it sit longer, and will the temps in the shed make any difference?

If you're happy the gravity is stable then bottle it. But you can leave it longer if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 doormats

Hi all,

Sorry to bring this thread all the way back to the beginning, but I'm looking to start my own homebrews and by chance came across this thread using the very kit I'm eyeing up! Unfortunately, I can't add the link as a new user, or quote the first comment - so apologies there..

almostover, would you recommend the kit/any additional pieces of equipment? Would anyone else have any alternatives they would recommend for somebody looking to get started??

Thanks!

As you can see from the picture I posted I got the kit I linked in the op.

I'm pretty happy with it, I bottled my first brew Thursday night and the stuff was very clear in the bottles for an ale. I think having the tap makes it much easier to bottle without having to disturb the fermenter by taking off the lid etc. The first brew is currently botte conditioning and I'll try one in another week or so, but I have high hopes for it.

The only other thing I'd consider buying is maybe a bottle washer to speed up the bottling process.

I'm considering doing a wine or lager next already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 doormats

Great, thanks for the response! I think I'll go ahead with that starter kit to kick things off. Looking forward to getting started!

Another question for the well seasoned here.. I got a Cooper's Canadian blonde kit to do next. I also got 500g light spraymalt for it too and I have 1kg of brewing sugar and 1kg of supermarket sucrose.

Would you suggest getting another 500g of spraymalt to add to that kit or would 500g of the sugar and 500g spraymalt do the trick, or another combination?

As an aside, I couldn't wait to taste the Ruby red tonight so split a bottle with my brother. Obviously quite flat but it was promising but with a bit of a bitter twang and aftertaste to it. I presume its fair too early to determine how this will turn out yet? Its crystal clear now and conditioning in the bottles in the house. I plan to try again after 2 weeks in the bottle.

Would you suggest getting another 500g of spraymalt to add to that kit or would 500g of the sugar and 500g spraymalt do the trick, or another combination?
    1kg of spraymalt is the best option but there's not really much point being precious about kits: half a kilo each of spraymalt and sugar will still get you beer without having to go shopping again.
    I presume its fair too early to determine how this will turn out yet?
    Yeah, pretty much. But you'd probably know if something had gone wrong and it sounds like it hasn't, so congrats :)

Advertisement