Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water running down the back of the Motorhome

Options
  • 13-09-2016 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    The bumper on the back of my MH doesn't make a water tight seal against the body, especially on the corners (see the picture). I've seen plenty of others the same as mine. When water runs down the back of the motorhome in these corners and past the bumper, it goes to the bottom of the outer MH wall, where it meets the MH floor. I have fully protected this area by applying a protective bitumen layer so that the wood of the MH body isn't attacked. But it appears like a poor design to have water running to vulnerable parts of the undercarriage like this. Like I've said, I'm careful about protecting it, but surely plenty of other MH's have squishy corners where rain water running off has done damage. How have any of the rest of you dealt with this?

Thanks

24fw8wi.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If it was me, I'd pull the plastic bumper and get a section welded into the widest gap, then use a new edging strip with some sealant behind it to prevent water getting down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Sounds like a thoughtless design if the wall extended a few mm lower than the floor the water would just run off, by rights it should end in a drip strip. I would probably bond a pvc strip to the wall to extend the wall below the floor and function as a weather strip. PVC window trim is about €1.50 per meter would last a lot longer than the rest of the van.

Advertisement