Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have an i5-3570k @ 3.4Ghz... upgrade to i7?

Options
  • 13-09-2016 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I can get an i7-870 (2.93 Ghz) for 55 euros second hand.

Am confused as to whether this'd be a good idea or not - while the better chip seemingly the clock speed is less than my i5 (3.4Ghz).

Any help / guidance appreciated.

-ZB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That i7 won't even fit in the socket. It's 2? generations older and much slower than your current chip.
    If I were you, I'd look into overclocking your current CPU if you think it is starting to slog.
    If you were to upgrade you'd have to look at the i7 3770(K).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Going to an i7-3770 would probably not be worth it unless it's heavy video editing or similar that you're doing, or else gaming and you already have a killer high-end graphics card with a 100hz+ monitor. The i7-870 is first gen, i5-3570k is 3rd gen and overall much faster and more efficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Keep your i5 OP

Reason:

You don't know how that i7 pc has been used. I doubt "one careful owner" here for some reason or another.

Caveat Emptor.

Keep your current rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The CPU you have currently is far more powerful that than pretty old i7. Stick with what you have. As others have said, overclock it if you want more power (though honestly, you shouldn't need to unless you're doing some very intensive things).

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Folks,

Thanks a million for the info. I did think that the clock speed suggested it was slower but then against that I'd always thought that logically, i7 better than i5.

Nothing at all wrong with my pc, very happy with it other than my blu ray burner died on me. Has an old ish GTX 760 but still plays most games fine.

Again, thanks for input - was more curious about what seemed a possible cheap upgrade - but not one that I really need.

-ZB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Your next upgrade would be Selling the 760. Then pick yourself up a nice second hand gtx 970. Your pc be flying.

Or if you haven't got one already an ssd aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

I have an SSD. The machine does absolutely fly. This was one of those "I wonder if that might be an upgrade worth doing but possibly not" type moments where I thought I'd get the knowledge of people in the know like you guys.

As I'm heading back to college at night I'm probably not really in the market for a new graphics card right now :-) Although I don't know what a second hand 760 would fetch, and if I was upgrading I'd probably go with a 6gb 1060.

Thanks again to all for the advice :-)

-ZB

Advertisement