Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing date of flight ticket

Options
  • 13-09-2016 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Sometimes I had needed to change the date of my ticket, some airlines do this for the pr-agreed price, but some fiddle an extra fee. Last june I had to change my departure date from Dublin. The surcharge for this was $100 but ETIHAD charged me $200 on the grounds that the cheap seats were all taken. However,I got a friend to pre book a seat on the same flight and he was offered the cheapest seats. Also when changing an existing booking I was not given the pick a seat option but my friend on the new booking was given said option and noticed half the seats were empty. Now it seems that this practice of stealing more money from the customer who changes his flight is not restricted to Etihad, and this is how (or is it?) it is done. The cheap seats are subdivided into groups eg a,b,c and all abc are available for new bookings but only a is available for change of date. Therefore in theory ETIHAD can allocate 150 seats in the cheap bracket for new customers but only one seat in the cheap bracket for change of date customers. I have sent three e mails to ETIHAD asking them to clarify (with evidence) how their system for ripping off existing customers works, but have received no reply

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

How often does a person change their seat to know how it works? Bit of a strange thing to be au fait with.

Iv never heard of anyone do it unless there was a death or something serious which would generally be covered by insurance.

Are you sure you're not buying a cheap seat for a really quiet time then paying a 'small' fee to change the date. That's the only logical reason I can think of.

Anyway I don't know, but just interested in your prerogative

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

If you regularly need to change dates you should know that booking the cheapest fare isn't the right option. You should pay extra for flex options or business class.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭beaufoy

Sorry not true I change my flight date 15% of my flights I would need to change it 50% in order to make the high grade ticket viable. On the mid grade ticket the option for ETIHAD to inflate the cost of change of flight still remains. Also on standard flight tickets BA, Thai Airways, Quantas, And Bangkok Airways have altered flight dates and only charged what they said they would charge

Advertisement