Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teaching in Australia - any advice??

Options
  • 12-09-2016 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi!

I'm making the move to Melbourne this coming Jan 2017 - I'm currently a qualified primary school teacher working in Dublin and have been for the last 4 years.

I've done a three year Commerce Degree and an 18month H-Dip for primary teaching so I should be covered with their 4 year degree requirement and I've started the process of applying to the Victoria Teaching Board.

Other than that does anyone have any general tips or advice about teaching over there as I am finding a limited amount of information online!
    Are teaching agencies the best way to find work over there?
    Is there a lot of work going?
    How much would you generally make from doing supply teaching?
    Can you get sponsored by a school to stay longer than a year?

There's a few questions that come to mind!!!!

Thanks a million,

Bairbre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

It doesn't look like the OP posts here anymore but one year on does anyone have any answers to these questions, particularly regarding agencies. I am hoping to travel in January 2018

I have gotten my registration with the Victoria Institute of teachers and am wondering what the next step should be? I only plan on staying in Melbourne for 6-7 months so I guess CRT work is my best option. Does anyone know anything about covering maternity leaves in Australia?

Have been in Melbourne for 3 months now, if anyone wants any advice on CRT work here just let me know.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 1 stankira

Hi KevinK, I will move to Melbourne too. How is it there?

It's very good, lots of  substitute work and have been offered a contract until the end of year but can't accept it due to my visa (6 month max in one job). Think I have worked every day that I have been available for since January.
    I emailed all the local schools in the area my CV, and was invited in by a few and have gotten regular work (2-3 days per week) in one Catholic School.
    I joined two agencies also, and one of them ANZUK is very good. They have given me work on all of my remaining days.
    The agencies make life very easy, but the pay is less than directly with the school ($305 per day v $353 per day) so is probably worth it to try and find your own school.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Hi Kevin,
    I have just received my registration with the Board of Education with Tasmania. I am a secondary Home Ec teacher and Religion. HELP! I have no idea what to do now. I looked at ANZUK and there are no jobs for Tasmania. I have no option but to go there as my partner has a job got there.
    Any ideas please of websites?
    Any advice please I would appreciate it very much, thanks

• Advertisement

Well done on getting your registration, obviously I am in Victoria and a primary teacher but here are a few ideas.

Just write school (or secondary school) into google maps and see what schools are in the area you hope to work in, get their e-mails and sent them all an email saying you are available to work. I sent a generic email to about 25 schools, most ignored but I am getting regular work with two of them now.

Or if that doesn’t work call into the schools once you arrive with your CV, if nothing else they should tell you how their recruitment works.

I joined a facebooks group called surviving casual teaching, not sure if there are members from Tasmania on it but might be worth checking as they usually offer good advice. Even somebody might no how the system works there.

I also found this http://catholic.tas.edu.au/employment/positions-vacant
    There are some jobs advertised in Catholic Schools,
    Schools year starts in January but not sure when recruitment begins...

I think I this is the website for government jobs.. (just from googling but it looks legit)
    https://www.jobs.tas.gov.au

Hope that is some help...

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Thank you very much for all your advice...I really am grateful. Shall look up these links etc now!

Hi LennyLou

How did it go? Are you in Tasmania now? Any luck getting work?

Advertisement