Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

China Itinerary Advice April

Options
  • 12-09-2016 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hey I'm looking for any advice on a 2.5 week trip I have planned to China in April next year. Hoping to cut out one place as it's a bit tight on time but can't choose where. Flying into Shanghai and out of Beijing so can't change those. Basically trying to decide between Chengdu, Datong and Pingyao. Anyway here's what I have planned.

Day 1 - Arrive in Shanghai
    Day 2 - Shanghai
    Day 3 - Fly to Chengdu (not booked)
    Day 4 - Chengdu
    Day 5 - Leshan Day tour
    Day 6 - Chengdu. Overnight train to Xi'an
    Day 7 - Xian- Terracotta Warriors and Xian
    Day 8 - Huashan. Night train to Pingyao.
    Day 9 - Pingyao
    Day 10 Pingyao, train to Datong in early evening
    Day 11- Datong (nearby Grottoes and Hanging Temple). Evening bus to Beijing
    Day 12 - Beijing
    Day 13 - Beijing
    Day 14 - Beijing
    Day 15 - Beijing
    Day 16 - Beijing
    Day 17 - Leave

Any comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I would highly recommend Pingyao and the grottoes near Datong. Datong itself doesn't have a lot going for it. I also liked X'ian and was impressed by the Terracotta Army. Chengdu is also excellent and there are many options nearby.

Personally, I hate Shanghai but that's just me. Beijing is amazing. I've been there numerous times and still find lots of new things every time.

Nice itinerary.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭68508224

Hey killbillvol2 thanks for your input. Have heard lots of good things about Pingyao and the grottoes outside of Datong look like something I would love.
    Gonna keep the time in Shanghai to a minimum as have read in a lot of places that it's not great.
    I prefer to take things slowly so am actually toying with the idea now of leaving Chengdu for another trip visiting the south from Chengdu to Hong Kong. Difficult to decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 johnington

I travelled from Beijing to Hong Kong last year including Xian and Chengdu. Also, on the southward leg from Chengdu to Hong Kong I visited Dali, Lijang and Yangshou.

Dali and Lijang are relatively small and have pretty old towns but not a whole pile else to do. Yangshou was beautiful countryside (use google for images, I can't justify it in words). I liked Hong Kong as well. It may be China but a totally different atmosphere.

In my opinion if you could do either North or South of Chengdu I would go with your original itinerary. There is loads to do in Beijing (summer palace, temple of heaven, great wall, forbidden city).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Wouldn't agree that there's not much to do in Lijiang. You're very close to some spectacular hikes (Tiger Leaping Gorge in particular, but also Snow Mountain), and the old town in the city itself is definitely worth more than just a day or two. Some great guest houses and incredibly cheap.

Advertisement