Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assassins Creed ?

Options
  • 12-09-2016 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Yeah. I know. But that was years ago and this is a pertinent question today ;)

See; Fancying the idea of a spot of, possibly, that sort of thing, I saw Argos had " Rogue " in stock and grabbed it on the fly.

Now I've had time to slow down, I realise this one is right in the middle of a vast history. I'd be some character I've never heard of. Who would have memories I don't ~ because I wasn't there .....

Bottom line: Is it worth me even trying? Or should I shelve it and get the earlier games, to bring myself up to pace?

Alternately; Might I give this a spin, just to see if all this running and jumping is to my tastes? I must say, I watched a bit of one on you tube and it's not what I was expecting.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I honestly wouldn't worry about it, I played the first one and gave up fairly quickly as it bored me too tears....I didn't pick up another AC game again until black flag which I loved and I didn't feel like I was missing out having not played the other games, since then I've played unity and syndicate and loved both. In saying that though AC 2 and the ones that followed are well thought of, except for maybe 3, I remember that getting a mixed response, I would just play rogue and if you feel you want to know about the previous games you could get them on the cheap now I would think or else just watch a catch up video on youtube or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know if it's that necessary anymore. AC2 had a good story, there were a few other games that continued that story like brotherhood (can't remember the rest).

I don't think they even kept the same modern day characters in that recent French one, so as far as I can tell the whole overarching story has broken down and become a jumbled mess as they try and cram more and more games into the franchise. Rouge is from the templars (bad guys usually) point of view so has further broken away from the original story line.

So I don't think you'll be missing anything, the game you bought is more or less it's own thing, it's just set in the AC world.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

AC1 isn't terribly fun as it was the first and they weren't sure what would work. The 3 games that followed were quite enjoyable (AC2, AC Brotherhood and AC Revelations) and I'd suggest they were the best starting point. Fun story and following the same character (Ezio who we first meet as a teenager and who grows old over the course of the 3 games) who has an interesting personality. 3 left me bored and Black Flag is all PIRATES and ship to ship combat which was a welcome relief from the boredom of 3 (which featured the ship combat in a minor capacity).

I didn't bother with Unity cause it was broken as all hell and by the time Syndicate came out, the whole series fell off my radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shiminay wrote: »
    AC1 isn't terribly fun as it was the first and they weren't sure what would work. The 3 games that followed were quite enjoyable (AC2, AC Brotherhood and AC Revelations) and I'd suggest they were the best starting point. Fun story and following the same character (Ezio who we first meet as a teenager and who grows old over the course of the 3 games) who has an interesting personality. 3 left me bored and Black Flag is all PIRATES and ship to ship combat which was a welcome relief from the boredom of 3 (which featured the ship combat in a minor capacity).

I didn't bother with Unity cause it was broken as all hell and by the time Syndicate came out, the whole series fell off my radar.

Pretty much exact same with me. I was a huge AC fan, but from Revelations on, they've just completely stretched the whole series out to the point where I no longer care about it.

AC1 was good but hugely repetitive game play
    AC2 was fantastic. The best of the series imo. Great story, great gameplay, great game.
    AC Brotherhood was more of the same as AC2. Doesn't quite reach the same height but still a great game.
    AC Revelations was where the series started to bore me a bit. Enjoyed it, but didn't love it. Most of the new stuff they added in just didn't work.
    AC3 was just boring in every way. Gameplay, story, setting... Just boring.
    AC Black Flag was great for the pirate/ship elements, but the on-land bits were among the worst in the whole series
    AC Rogue I haven't played, but still has much of the ship gameplay so probably worth playing
    AC Unity I played maybe 6 hours of but it got the point where I looked at the map, saw all the icons and missing parts of the map where you have to beat a tower captain sh*te and just decided not to bother with it any more.
    AC Syndicate, never played. I'm basically out of the AC series now unless the next game turns out to be the best thing ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

NOPE!!! No Way!!!

Just learned some solid lessons. 1/ You Tube has it All! 2/ Check ye games on there, before buying them. Watch some Game Play first. Could have saved myself a few drinks there.

All that, 'Why walk on the ground when ye can leap from tree to tree like a squirrel on enhancers?'. No.

I was hoping for a sort of westernised ninja experience. Sadly, it's more Mohammed meets Parkour and goes silly.

Been digging around for a Real ninja game, checking the tube. God. I'm just getting depressed now :(

Assassins Creed ~ Rogue. Still factory sealed. Up for grabs. No point in me opening it.

Thanks for all the input, people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Should you play Rogue? Sure give it a lash for an hour or so, if you don't like it after that for whatever reason you haven't lost much.
    Can't give you my opinion on Rogue as I skipped it and Unity due to financial constraints but I have finished all the rest and enjoyed them for the most part.

As for not knowing the story so far, the start of each game usually has a movie style "so far on Assassins Creed" type video and the main character will be introduced as you play so no need to worry there.
    If that doesn't work there is always Wikipedia but if you don't enjoy it by the end of your first session I doubt you'll care.

That post was meant to be much shorter than it actually was.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As a massive AC fan, i feel compelled to tell you to play them all in order. Except i won't.

AC1: I would google the cut scenes, it was good for the time it came out, if quite repetative, and set up the universe.
    AC2: Highly recommend to play it, the second best of the series (imo). Everything that was wrong with 1 was fixed in 2.
    AC Brotherhood: Again, i recommend to play this one. A continuation of the story from 2, with a few new added bits.
    AC Revelations: And i would recommend to play this too, but avoid all the new mini games they made.
    AC3: Stay away, complete bore fest, but the home area part was interesting.
    AC4 Black Flag: The best in the series imo. I loved everything about it. The ship battles are amazing, and quite hard at times, especially the legendary ships.
    AC Rogue: It's Black Flag from the "bad guys" point of view, but set before Black Flag. I enjoyed it, was more Black Flag which is a good thing. Took a while to get used to that horrendous Oirish accent though.
    AC Unity: I've only started playing this recently, so have all the patches and fixes. It seems to play ok, i'm not that far into it, but there seems to be a stupid amount of collectables. Don't know if i'll finish it.
    AC Syndicate: I've only played about 4 hours of this before trading it in, not because it was bad, but because i wanted to play Unity before continuing. It seemed very good. The characters i saw were likable, and switching between the 2 was refreshing (don't know if you get that choice in Unity). And being set across the pond was nice, as i can actually know some of the locations/streets.

Overall, it is one of my favourite series. They have a habit of the odd numbered ones being worse than the even numbered ones (especially 3 and 5). Next up is an odd numbered one, so will be interesting to see how that pans out, although having 2 years to develop instead of 1 should help. I'm really vested in the story, the lore, the tech, and while most people don't like the current day parts, i did. They games would have been fine with no modern day parts, and just made as historical based open world games, but i feel like i'm getting 2 stories with each iteration.

It all depends on whether you are genuinely interested in the stories and are willing to overcome repetative gameplay. You could just burn thorugh the campaigns, avoid the side stuff and collectibles, except for rifts/glyphs/whatever else, as they keep the modern story going, but if you've no interest in that, you can skip them completely.

Well you picked a good time to ask about the older ones, The Ezio Trilogy is out on November 15th which are the highlights of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

Well you picked a good time to ask about the older ones .....

Thanks, Enfilade. But, you obviously missed the bit where I said:
    Stigura wrote: »
    NOPE!!! No Way!!!

Anyway, as ye seem well versed in this stuff, maybe ye could help me?

I'm getting it, on the whisper stream, that PS1 did a " Bob The Builder " game? They were going to develop it. But, he was taken out, on the job, by an Assassin Screed .....

Alright. I've got my coat :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Stigura wrote: »
    Thanks, Enfilade. But, you obviously missed the bit where I said:

Anyway, as ye seem well versed in this stuff, maybe ye could help me?

I'm getting it, on the whisper stream, that PS1 did a " Bob The Builder " game? They were going to develop it. But, he was taken out, on the job, by an Assassin Screed .....

Alright. I've got my coat :o

O_o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

O_o
    It's a construction joke. A bad one at that. :D

A joke like that should really have a better foundation and more of a build up...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well you picked a good time to ask about the older ones, The Ezio Trilogy is out on November 15th which are the highlights of the series.

Skip the first one. It was an awful game on release, it's probably worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Skip the first one. It was an awful game on release, it's probably worse now.

The Ezio games started with Ass Creed 2, then Brotherhood, then revelations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,933 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sweetie wrote: »
    The Ezio games started with Ass Creed 2, then Brotherhood, then revelations.

SO even Ubisoft are ignoring its existence :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    SO even Ubisoft are ignoring its existence :)

Not really. They've sold collections of the games before digitally iirc which included AC1 through to AC3.

This is just the Ezio collection, the three games he was in.

Though my advice to anyone playing would be to give yourselves some breathing room between each of the games. Particularly as with Brotherhood and Revelations you pretty much start out with much less equipment etc than you would have finished the previous game with. It'll make going straight from one game to the next incredibly frustrating.

Based on the trailer Ubi released for this collection it's a had no work done to it and the multiplayer elements stripped out. Little if any reason to buy them unless you haven't played them before. Even then they could be got far cheaper if you still have a 360/PS4

I've always been disappointed that the AC Multiplayer didn't get more traction, I thought it was fun and an interesting take on pvp for any game to try.

Barely played it in Revelations but really enjoyed the Brotherhood multiplayer. When most people in a game were playing it properly (going for stealth kills in crowds etc rather than running about the place or jumping from rooftops) it was a lot of fun.

But I can see why they left it out for the collection. The single-player + DLC for those three games is pretty substantial, and because so many people would be playing at different rates, the fact that both Brotherhood and Revelations had multiplayer, and slightly different controls between games etc, I think including the multiplayer would have been a mess that they just didn't wanted and isn't really needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Based on the trailer Ubi released for this collection it's a had no work done to it and the multiplayer elements stripped out. Little if any reason to buy them unless you haven't played them before. Even then they could be got far cheaper if you still have a 360/PS4

I played II, but never played Brotherhood or Revelations. Having the DLC included is a big plus for me so I will pick it up sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Seems a strange criticism to say they're ignoring the first one by not including it in a collection dedicated to s character that doesn't appear in it.

Have dipped in and out of these over the years. They do seem to be very hit and miss but I enjoy them and will pick up this. I really wish they'd cut out the modern day stuff though. I get that originally they felt they needed to explain the ability to access memories but it would have been better to straight out play as Altair or Ezio. Flipping back to the present day just gets in the way of the good stuff.

Picked up the original on launch and from memory the actual assassination missions were enjoyable but the pickpocketing and eavesdropping leading up to them was boring as f*ck.

Enjoyed 2, took everything that worked about one and built upon it and added in a great story.

Enjoyed Brotherhood.

Also had Revelations but the kids scratched the disc so it never played past the tutorial.

Got Black Flag on GWG, and it was probably my favourite of the series. Unlike almost everybody else I got bored with the ship bits after a while but the world of the game was just so beautiful and immersive.

Have Unity downloaded but haven't played it yet.

If Syndicate follows suit and ends up sub 10 on cdkeys I'll pick that up too.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Have dipped in and out of these over the years. They do seem to be very hit and miss but I enjoy them and will pick up this. I really wish they'd cut out the modern day stuff though. I get that originally they felt they needed to explain the ability to access memories but it would have been better to straight out play as Altair or Ezio. Flipping back to the present day just gets in the way of the good stuff.

I enjoyed the present day stuff in AC2 through to AC3. I liked the present day storyline and even though they really stretched it out (AC Revelations especially), it was a nice break from the main game and something a bit different. Plus I was hopeful the present day stuff where you actually get to be an assassin would continue in later games.

However, with how they messed up the ending of AC3 in order to prolong the story for another 5 games, the present day stuff has been completely and utterly worthless. I think it's even just been relegated to a few short cutscenes in the last two games, and in those 4 games since AC3, pretty much nothing has happened in the present day storyline. It's a complete shambles.

Advertisement