Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bioshock remastered

Options
  • 12-09-2016 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.pcgamer.com/bioshock-the-collection-upgrade-details-and-system-requirements-revealed/
    Owners of BioShock, BioShock 2, and/or Minerva's Den on Steam will see the remastered versions of the respective games appear in their Steam library automatically. Those who purchased BioShock when it was new, however, either on disc or through Games for Windows Live, will have to take a few extra steps by providing your Steam profile information and proof of purchase of the original game to 2K Support. (More information on submitting a ticket is available here.) Once that's done and approved, the remastered version of the game will be added to your Steam library.

looking forward to replaying the 1st one.

Only finished Infinite a while ago so wont bother with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A.Gorilla

I cant wait to go through the first 2 again. They are a series of games every PC Gamer should own... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

A.Gorilla wrote: »
    I cant wait to go through the first 2 again. They are a series of games every PC Gamer should own... :)

Wasn't a fan of two.

But loved infinite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

First one's all I care about. Too bad you have to own 2 to get the update. When they showed console version of the 'HD' it looked worse than the original. This has happened before with many titles, their HD editions being worse off graphically. All I hope is that the negative mouse acceleration, deadzone, crashing, audio glitches and 30fps physics are fixed.

That said the reason I skipped 2 was primarily because it had sound glitches but from what I played it didn't seem as good as the original anyway. Considering purchasing 2 cheap somewhere just to get the update for 1.

I couldn't stomach Infinite. Alt F4'd after around 6 hours of terrible gunplay. Thankfully was just a family shared item. Didn't invest a single adam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Is there a significant difference between the remastered editions and the original PC versions? The PC would have looked better anyway than the console counterparts. A remastered console port is still not going to be significantly better than PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Wasn't a fan of two.

But loved infinite

I hated the two gun system and the handymen. The thing that made the big daddys great was planning your takedown. Two's story wasn't great but the combat was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Just picked up the original trilogy for 11 quid, hope I haven't left it too late, been keeping my eye on this for a few weeks!

Edit: Okay, the article confirms the update doesn't go live until Thursday at midnight. Anyone who like me didn't previously own any of the originals can get them here: http://www.allkeyshop.com/catalogue/search.php?q=bioshock+trilogy

RRP for the Remaster pack is 59.99 so big saving to be had here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

so thursday is when they'll appear in your steam library yeah?

so thursday is when they'll appear in your steam library yeah?

15:00 Pacific Time. Think that's 22:00 or 23:00 over here

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've 1 and 2, but don't have Minerva's Den. Will i still get the updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Kiith wrote: »
    I've 1 and 2, but don't have Minerva's Den. Will i still get the updates?

I never bought it either but I got it automatically added to my account when they updated Bioshock 2 to get rid of GFWL.
    I think anyone that bought Bioshock 2 pre 2014 got Minerva's Den for free.

• Advertisement

Huh, turns out i don't have either of the first two games on Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Kiith wrote: »
    Huh, turns out i don't have either of the first two games on Steam.

Yeah, I'm the same, trying to figure out where I had it from!

Direct2drive, greenman, ugh. The search begins...

Can't find it anywhere. I'm not actually sure i ever owned it digitally...which is mad. Was sure i'd played it in the last few years.

I should have entered those SteamGift draws :P

Bioshock 1 + 2 Remastered are available now in steam. :)
    Both are about 20GB download each, quite a bit bigger than the original versions, can't wait to try them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Steam only showing Bioshock remastered for me, I own infinite too.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Try re-starting steam client if they don't appear.

dreamers75 wrote: »

Infinite hasn't been remastered for PC, was already current gen console standard or better.

Just murmurs from another discussion forum but I heard someone say the glitches from the original game (30fps physics, audio issues) is still present in the remastered, has less settings in the graphic options, is bigger install size and needs stronger hardware for barely any payoff. Not sounding good. I don't see any videos about it from the few YTers I trust. Maybe I'll just play it and find out for myself. Speaking of which I found it added to my account even though I only have Bioshock 1 on steam (won it here!) although I'm pretty sure I had a physical release on my old family computer I couldn't be bothered finding it now considering I have the game.

1gbgueQ.jpg

Oh also to note you can't buy the original version standalone anymore. You have to buy the 'remastrered' version on steam now, indefinitely raising the price for these titles. If the murmurs about its glitches are true then this is one of the dirtiest cash grabs I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Can you even reinstall the older version? If they just replace the game with the newer version, anyone without a decent enough machine to run it has just lost a game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, I've heard it's another Arkham Knight situation - how this keeps happening I just do not understand. Why are they handing off AAA games to unknown companies to make shoddy, sub-standard ports?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Oh also to note you can't buy the original version standalone anymore. You have to buy the 'remastrered' version on steam now, indefinitely raising the price for these titles. If the murmurs about its glitches are true then this is one of the dirtiest cash grabs I've seen in a while.
    How could it be considered a cash grab when they upgraded everyone who owned the previous versions for free and set the price of the Remasters to be the same price as the versions before them, also going so far as to include both executables when you buy the new version? As for pulling the original digital version itself from sale, that's pretty standard practice at this stage. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Fahrenheit, Sleeping Dogs, Dead Island, Ori and Wasteland 2 are but a few examples.

The graphics settings for the first Remastered game are odd though. I'd wager they've just jacked all the settings available in the first game to High Detail by default in the Remastered version and used those settings in conjunction with the new textures to give it that "Remastered" look.
    Yes, I've heard it's another Arkham Knight situation - how this keeps happening I just do not understand. Why are they handing off AAA games to unknown companies to make shoddy, sub-standard ports?
    Generally speaking? It's cheaper. In this case? The team at Irrational are now a skeleton staff and probably wouldn't be able to handle this release as well as their own project. Also it's cheaper. :(

chrislad wrote: »
    Can you even reinstall the older version? If they just replace the game with the newer version, anyone without a decent enough machine to run it has just lost a game.

Nah nah, they include the original in your library when you buy the remastered at that remastered price. But you can't just buy the original standalone on steam anymore, removing consumer choice and inflating the original's price. Bioshock Infinite profits.

My Bioshock 1 Remaster installed. Will give it a shot tonight. Was actually playing the original last week, streaming it for a friend. Such a good game but it was all the glitches and crashing that p'd me off. I did manage to find fixes for the game physics and got it @ 120fps to match my monitor.

I'll post my impressions later.

edit:

@gizmo

Because the original should cost less than the remaster and there's no way to buy the original standalone and there's apparently still glitches, that's why. I won't consider it a cash grab until I confirm tonight if the glitches are gone. If they've fixed the audio, physics and crashes I can't complain.

Also yes I know about the standard practice including Deus Ex (where the original looked better in areas with no way to legally buy it now, forcing consumers to pirate it if they wanted that version). Standard practice doesn't mean good practice. As for jacking up all the settings to max, I personally like to be in control of that. There's absolutely no reason not to let the user control it. Especially since there's things like motion blur that I have to turn off in every game and even HEX edit Devil may Cry 4's 'special edition' in order to get rid of the motion blur that the original DMC4 release was not plagued with.

Update:

Sorry for all the edits. I decided to just launch the game right now even though I wasn't in the mood of playing it. The game rendered at way above my monitor's resolution so I could barely see the cursor. The negative mouse acceleration issue is still in the game I can confirm and it does feel worse. Also while changing the mouse sensitivity the controls were locked out and XBOX buttons came up for me even though I don't have my gamepad installed and never use it for games like this anyway. gg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

@gizmo

Because the original should cost less than the remaster and there's no way to buy the original and there's apparently still glitches, that's why. I won't consider it a cash grab until I confirm tonight if the glitches are gone. If they've fixed the audio, physics and crashes I can't complain.
    Why should it though? They've just replaced the older version with the newer one at the same price while also giving you both versions when you buy it. I'd totally agree with you if they had actually raised the price of the Remastered ones or didn't give you the original SKU with your purchase but, as it stands, no one who bought the game recently or who intends on buying it soon is losing out. At this stage, the only real negative aspect is that they'll probably reduce the discount applied to the Remastered ones come sale time from the 80% level it had reached previously.

I wouldn't hold my breath over the issues that were present in the original game. From reading about it seems most of the work done was on the presentation and platform support side. Most issues that were present in the previous version of the game are still there. The missing graphics options are probably still accessible in the ini files if you want to tweak them though. As for the reasoning behind it, well there's the one obvious one, it reduces the amount of testing that needs to be done on the PC SKU. :o

EDIT: Oh, totally agree on the Human Revolution front. I only played it recently and ended up going with the boxed Vanilla version of the game I had since launch over the Director's Cut I had picked up in the meantime since I really loved the original, more stylised look to the game. In hindsight, I'm also of the opinion that The Missing Link content would harm the pacing of the game had I tackled it in its integrated form in the DC but that's harder to say for certain after the fact. Either way, it's definitely a pity you can't get the initial version anymore.

Game looks better all around by a little, which adds up to a lot. The framerate is solid, I'm getting 130fps with 130 being the throttle I put on my GPU (RX 480). I'll probably turn off the throttle to see how far I can push it. Lights look nicer. HUD is HD. And most importantly, physics are not 30fps! I'm not sure what FPS they are but from my eyes I think they have no lock so are probably hitting my screen's 120.

Biggest issues so far is the negative mouse acceleration & deadzone, lack of graphical options and Little Sister's face being revealed right at the start because of aspect ratio changes. I need to play more to see if the audio glitches are fixed which are very important. I'll have to get into some hectic fights with machine gun NPCs and bots since the glitch is when there's too many sounds at once. Saving system is still vanilla so there's no restrictions on checkpoints or any other console malarkey. A new difficulty is in the game I think. Survivor. Mid-game it warns you changing it will affect achievements. I don't care about achievements at all but nice of them to warn.

Overall not bad :)

Will update about sound glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Do saves carry over from the standard to the remaster and vice versa? Haven't played 2 yet but thinking when I do, I'll start playing the remastered and if there are issues as I go on, I can switch over to the standard edition

Dunno if saves carry over but they're not stored in the same directory since I had original saves and they weren't automatically picked up in remaster.

Also an update. The sound glitches are still in the game. Nearly a decade later and they still haven't patched it or managed to squeezed it into the 'remaster'. Disappointing.

Minor graphical glitch with Little Sisters. Rescuing them no longer has that cool electrical vein effect on their skin from your touch. Instead there's a delay, then their whole body has the effect. it used to come from the source of the player character's hand touching them and was a nice effect. Dunno why they f'd it up.

Advertisement