Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me find my family connection Gormley

Options
  • 12-09-2016 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Am I trying to contact any member of the Gormley family who may have had a male relative in London in 1945. I only have the name Joseph and the fact that he was my father. I know this is a long time ago but I have a photo and the results of a genetic test I took which shows that I am of Irish ancestry. Difficult I know, but probably not impossible. Can you help?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Gormley is quite a common surname in south County Sligo, not sure if so in other parts of the country.

As to how you'd go about tracing your dad if you don't know any other specifics though... I haven't a clue, sorry. Best of luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rt.vienna

Hi and thanks. I have a photo which I have and the use of modern genetics. I might be able to find a close relative via genetic tests but my best hope is to circulate the photo. Unfortunately I cannot post a photo on this forum.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

rt.vienna wrote: »
    Hi and thanks. I have a photo which I have and the use of modern genetics. I might be able to find a close relative via genetic tests but my best hope is to circulate the photo. Unfortunately I cannot post a photo on this forum.

The likelihood of anyone recognising him from a photo posted on this forum is slim, I'm afraid. If you knew which town/county he came from originally you could at least search for others from that place with that name on Facebook or post his photo in the local group, should there be one (Sligo, Ireland is one for example).

My mum has been doing a lot of work looking back at our family tree and has made contact with/bee contacted by quite a few distant relatives from UK/US in the past couple of years, most of which came from Facebook searching.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gloraghgirl

Hiya I will try and help you..i am in various groups on fb that find long lost family and friends..also their are groups that you can post what info you Do have and your photo.they are all free groups and very helpful..send me a message if you want the names as i dont know can i put them here? :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Mod note:

Please take this to private messaging: this person is most likely to be alive and I don't want to open boards up to data protection issues.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement