Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do I need a new engine? MK4 Golf Problems

Options
  • 11-09-2016 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Bought an mk4 golf in june with 80k miles and the engine seems to be acting up. Took it to a mechanic and he told me that the oil pump is breaking and that id need an entire new engine which is already sending shivers down my spine,.

Another mechanic said it could be the oil pressure sensor but I already replaced it and its still the same, I was getting the low oil pressure light for a few days and the mechanic replaced a fan switch for the coolant, and somehow the oil pressure light went away after that, which sounds odd because I dont know what that would have to do with oil pressure. Maybe I am wrong (I'm an IT nerd I know very little about cars)

I also found a blue fuse in the floor of my car. Something has me paranoid that the mechanic took a fuse out so I don't get any low oil pressure alerts. Don't trust any of these dodgy car mechanics at all. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I really don't feel like replacing an engine as I am still in education just about making ends meat. Also heres a video of what the sounds are like after I drive around for like a half hour.
    have to break up the links abit because im blocked from posting them till i hit 50 posts wtf
    http s://www .youtube. com/watch?v= xj7ckGU09uU

also recently this thing keeps making a dodgy noise now aswell and it also has a mad vibration to it when i hold my finger on it. Sounds like something bubbling in a frying pan.
    http s://i.gyazo. com/cb4e29b48bcd64679abcdfb5651d5e75.jpg

All help is really appreciated cheers everyone!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

Sounds like the Oil pickup is blocked.

Just go to a proper mechanic as its quite common on Mk4.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 RamboRage

Sounds like the Oil pickup is blocked.

Just go to a proper mechanic as its quite common on Mk4.

thanks, im going to go to a few mechanics this week and get some opinions. do you think it'll cost much?

Have u driven it far, does it sound like a sewing machine?

Really depends if any damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 RamboRage

Have u driven it far, does it sound like a sewing machine?

Really depends if any damage done.
    Id say there's abit of damage done because its been like that for a few weeks now also the car mechanic i just got done talking to said it seems like piston slap and that id have to replace the pistons by stripping the engine which he said would cost about one thousand. Seriously hope I don't have to do that.

Wouldn't it be better to get replacement engine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,968 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You already have a thread about this on the DIY forum. Please do not post multiple threads about the same issue. Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement