Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Europe??

Options
  • 11-09-2016 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭

So, Here I am at home with the rain pelting at the window and the fine weather on the continent over the summer just a fond memory and work in the morning..

Already planning next year's escape with Google Maps and a few guidebooks. Having been to the mid-west / south parts of Europe for the the past ten years I'm thinking of doing something completely different next year. Mrs SeamusG and Teenage kids agree as well....so it'll be fine...
    The general plan is to do a landbridge across England to Calais, head north to Denmark via Holland and from there into Sweden. (I've been there before a few times in summer and it's nice) maybe after that eastwards to either Latvia or Poland and then back via the UK.
    I know it's a lot of driving but I expect to have six weeks.
    Knowing us we'll probably end up doing something entirely different eventually (like drive to Amalfi or down to Kerry) but I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has motorhomed/campervanned in Scandinavia. Maybe there's a better way of doing it? I know there's a recent thread here about travelling to the Netherlands but I am interested in the farther north places.
    Advice on places to visit along the way is welcome as well of course!
    Cheers
    SeamusG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Went there in 1987 or 89, not sure which, with a trailer tent.

Went UK, Harwich Hook of Holland, the Puttgarden to Rodby in Dennark and the Helsingor to Helsingborg and onto Stockholm.

Stayed with relations in Stockholm and then headed west through Orebro and stayed in Karlskoga (Nobel) and onto Stromstad on the west coast from where we visited Oslo..

My recollection is of good, not busy roads, lots of trees and quite a few lakes.

Lots of "Moose" signs on the roads but never saw one, kept the children quiet though on the lookout for some.

I'm sure there has been a lot of change but if you are interested in more info send me a pm and Ill pass on some contacts living in Stockholm

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Never gave it serious consideration as wouldnt have that amount of time, but..... if I was to do it I think I'd check out ferries from Newcastle to Norway. Just googled and it seems they're trying to resurrect it.... but maybe keep an eye out in case it does come back online.

Has anyone thought of caravan/motorhome swaps? Our neighbours do house swaps every year (swapping cars as well). I know you might be nervous of someone driving around Ireland with a rig - I barely trust myself..... but wouldnt it be the ideal solution. Ryanair to Sweden and away you go. Save a fortune and oceans of time & energy. I know someone will say the journey is the point, but you could have plenty (extra/more) journey around the country you fly to rather than chugging through 'fly over' countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

Betsy Og wrote: »
    if I was to do it I think I'd check out ferries from Newcastle to Norway. Just googled and it seems they're trying to resurrect it.... but maybe keep an eye out in case it does come back online.

They've been trying to resurrect it since the day it was canned (2008, I believe), so I wouldn't hold my breath. Would be great they were to be successful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Planning to go to Denmark for a specific event in Sept 17.

Rough route plan at present is ferries Dublin/Liverpool, Harwich/Hook of Holland, then drive north east Holland across northern Germany into Denmark. I'm allowing 5/6 days for the ouward journey 2/3 days at the event and 5/6 days on the return leg to Dublin.
    Will stock up with the necessaries in Germany as my previous experience of Scandinavian countries Norway and Sweden in particular, is that everything except the scenery is quite expensive.

Advertisement