Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The sweaty towel dilemma

Options
  • 11-09-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I know this is not a new issue but we've now reached the point where many players request the towel after each and every point, and most of the time they just summarily wipe their face and chuck it back to the ballboy/girl.

Whatever about the effect on the rhythm of the game the hygiene issues alone should have resulted in a better solution by now, I doubt I'd ferry a dirty towel back and forth for my girlfriend never mind a sportsperson who I don't even know. Maybe there's some enjoyment to be had in having the sweat, saliva and various other bodily fluids of the game's top stars to hand but that'd surely wear off after a while.

The job of the ball girls and boys is to keep the balls in play and maybe get a few bottles of water for the players during the change of ends, if the players want an on-court lackey they should bring their PAs or some other type of servant.

I blame Greg Rusedski.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Couldn't agree more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Yep, Greg Rusedski started all this ****e, the sweatbands on the wrists should be more then enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Infact what is the point of sweatbands on wrists now if they are using the towels?

I think they should only allow players to use a towel either at the end of each game or during the change overs. I'm sure their clothing suppliers wont mind supplying them with a few more wrist bands so that they can change them regularly.

I don't I would fancy getting one of their used towels or sweatbands they throw into the crowd, do you ever see the amount of sweat flying off the wristbands when they throw them into the crowd. ugh.

^^ It makes perfect sense, after each game is more then enough time to towel down.
    This towel crap with the pros - like the grunting works the way down, now I see normal lads bringing towels on to the court.

A guy I play always has a towel and he chucks it at the back of the court and towels down between points - he's a decent player but f*ck me it's not necessary at this level - at any level!! :mad:

^^ It makes perfect sense, after each game is more then enough time to towel down.
    This towel crap with the pros - like the grunting works the way down, now I see normal lads bringing towels on to the court.

A guy I play always has a towel and he chucks it at the back of the court and towels down between points - he's a decent player but f*ck me it's not necessary at this level - at any level!! :mad:

I have to say I haven't seen that yet at club level in either league or opens but I'm guessing it won't be long.

Ye swear we play tennis hot humid conditions in this country. The only time a towel is needed is to dry off after being soaked by rain.

• Advertisement

Floppybits wrote: »
    I have to say I haven't seen that yet at club level in either league or opens but I'm guessing it won't be long.

Ye swear we play tennis hot humid conditions in this country. The only time a towel is needed is to dry off after being soaked by rain.

In fairness I play in Spain :)

But still, I think it's unnecessary.

In fairness I play in Spain :)

But still, I think it's unnecessary.

Lucky you. I was playing in the rain last night. Still didn't need a towel after each point.

Lucky you. I was playing in the rain last night. Still didn't need a towel after each point.

I love playing in the rain ... seriously ..

Advertisement