Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bedroom setup advice?

• 11-09-2016 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice here. Might not be as complicated as I might be thinking though.

Looking to get or put together some kind of sound system to have in my bedroom.

I share a house, so the sanctuary of my room will be where I'll digest a lot of music I think.

I've always had something in my room, be it back in the cassette days, to CD players, and now need to take into account a new record collection.

I have way more CDs than records, so had been thinking of getting your regular CD and speaker unit, like something you'd get in Harvey Normans or Argos etc. I could then buy a record player and hook it up if it had the right inputs.

Other option could be to buy a separate CD player, record player, amp and speakers.

I held onto speakers off a Sony HiFi from the 90s, so in theory could recycle these, but think I might have to get new speaker connectors made. They have the old wires you clipped into the red and black inputs (can't remember the technical name for these inputs, clothes peg style, like little switches)

Should I just keep it simple for the bedroom? Any advice? I probably won't need to spend massive amounts, and won't need to have it LOUD.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If you have the cash you could look at Sonos. I have a Sonos 5 in my bedroom which is probably overkill but aside from being able to access Spotify and my computer's music collection wirelessly it also has an audio input.

Two Sonos 1's set up as a stereo pair also sounds great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I wouldn't need to access spotify. Wireless access wouldn't be a deal breaker. Interesting though....

That Sonos is a great idea though.

I was looking at this earlier:

http://coloredvinylrecords.com/blog/stereo-amplifiers-for-your-turntable-setup/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I'm thinking of getting in to Sonos. I came across a comment somewhere that the Sonos 1 no longer needs a bridge because of a firmware update. Anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

I'm thinking of getting in to Sonos. I came across a comment somewhere that the Sonos 1 no longer needs a bridge because of a firmware update. Anyone know anything about this?

Unless you are using a old setup - No Sonos does not need a Boost (replacement for the bridge) you will need to think about it after you exceed 2 speakers (it's draining your wifi) . However you do need to "boost " to the Bar, Sub and Rear speakers or have the Bar hard wired.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

akaSol wrote: »
    Unless you are using a old setup - No Sonos does not need a Boost (replacement for the bridge) you will need to think about it after you exceed 2 speakers (it's draining your wifi) . However you do need to "boost " to the Bar, Sub and Rear speakers or have the Bar hard wired.

I've the bar, sub and two 1's as well as a 5 in another room. Haven't had to use a Boost

• Advertisement

Thanks both of you. I already have a very good Pioneer Soundbar & Subwoofer and I would say 3 zones will be the most I'll (eventually) need. Now I know the Sonas 1 does not have an Aux socket and I have a load of CDs. Is there such a thing as a CD player that will transmit to the Sonas via Wi-Fi or is there a gizmo that I can plug my existing Hi-Fi in to that will then transmit to the Sonas.

Sorry for the silly questions, it's a generation thing with me :)

Thanks both of you. I already have a very good Pioneer Soundbar & Subwoofer and I would say 3 zones will be the most I'll (eventually) need. Now I know the Sonas 1 does not have an Aux socket and I have a load of CDs. Is there such a thing as a CD player that will transmit to the Sonas via Wi-Fi or is there a gizmo that I can plug my existing Hi-Fi in to that will then transmit to the Sonas.

Sorry for the silly questions, it's a generation thing with me :)

No such thing as silly questions when it comes to making expensive purchases. :)

I think the Sonos Connect is what you're looking for.

http://www.sonos.com/en-ie/shop/connect.html

You can also configure Sonos so it can stream music from your music library on your PC/Mac

Mmm! At €399, I think it is time to get rid of my physical music collection, or leave my existing hi-fi in place in one room. Does the Sonas 5 has an Aux socket?

Advice much appreciated

Mmm! At €399, I think it is time to get rid of my physical music collection, or leave my existing hi-fi in place in one room. Does the Sonas 5 has an Aux socket?

Advice much appreciated

It does have an aux socket but it's only a 3.5mm connection. (Headphone jack size)

TBH since getting Sonos I've rarely use my own music library anymore!

I really am clueless when it come to matching amps with players with speakers etc.
    Can someone give me a rough idea or if you have a link to hand, it would help me decide on what I would need, then I could look at a budget and see what’s in that range.

• Advertisement

Would something like this mean it could be plugged into a regular stereo unit?

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/turntables/d41892c53111caf9/index.html

"Switchable built-in pre-amplifier enables wired connection to components with or without a dedicated turntable input"

Going to look at, for my bedroom, something like a Denon rcd-m40 and I'll look at getting a turntable to plug into it. Might have to get an amp depending on the turntable. Any recommendations for a mini amp, if such a thing exists, so I could go Denon > amp > turntable

Advertisement