Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I feel dirty, I like a solid state amp.

Options
  • 11-09-2016 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭

Now, it may seem snobby but that's because I am a gear snob and I have no problem admitting that either.
    Last night how ever, I was gigging and the venue supplied the amps for us. I thought I was getting an Orange Rockerverb but when I got there I was presented with an Orange Crush CR120. Slightly concerned I plugged in t sound check to see how it sounded and to say I was surprised would be and understatement.
    I bloody loved it!

I can't say much for the clean tones as I was running the crunch channel with an MXR custom shop OD but the thing sounded MASSIVE.
    The distortion was chunky and clear, the bass reaponse was defined and smooth and over all, the amp played like a dream. So much in fact that it has me tempted to buy one, if not for my main (read snobby) piece then just for gigging and heading on the road with because well, it's going to be more reliable than a tube beast.

So what am I saying here?
    Are SS amps better than tube amps? No, I don't think so.
    But have they made huge leaps and bounds in the past ten years? Well, this is something I'm starting to realise may be true.

Anyone else have any experiences with similar SS beasts?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

There's nothing "wrong" with solid state amps. They just have a bad rep because they're cheaper to build than tube amps, and so the cheapo crap ones sound awful. Dimebag Darrell used solid state. I've heard solid state amps that are better than tube. It's just a thing guitarists like to get annoyed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

One of the best sounding amps I've ever had as a "pedal platform" was an old solid-state Peavey.

The clean on my current valve job sounds better in the rehearsal room, but I doubt many would notice a difference once it's mic'ed up and pumped through a PA.

Oh, and there's a subtle subliminal reason as to why you "feel dirty".

Solid state = transistor amp.
    Tr(ansistor) amp
    Tramp.

You bin foolin' with a tramp...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

feylya wrote: »
    Dimebag Darrell used solid state.

And he had awful tone... :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,018 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Tone is in the ear of the behearer! I think each amp has to be taken on it's own merits, some tube amps sound poor, some SS amps sound great and vice versa.
    There can be no hard & fast rule that tubes always make an amp better- I think tone is too subjective a thing to have a hard rule on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Lots of jazz players use solid-state amps for the convenience factor. They're all about sweet tones so it makes you wonder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I think up to now I've just used crappy solid state amps but it's funny because I'm very fond of putting my SS overdrive pedal infront of tube amps. Something is say a lot of tube snobs are guilty of.

The clean headroom makes sense for jazz players, if they can get a warm enough time then it just seems perfect for them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I definitely think that there is no hard and fast rule when it comes to solid state versus valve. There are some great amps on either side. I wonder if the venue coloured your impression too?¿ I remember plugging into tonnes of amps in Xmusic and loving all of them, even though I knew some were ****e. The huge warehouse style space made them sound amazing.

I definitely think that there is no hard and fast rule when it comes to solid state versus valve. There are some great amps on either side. I wonder if the venue coloured your impression too?¿ I remember plugging into tonnes of amps in Xmusic and loving all of them, even though I knew some were ****e. The huge warehouse style space made them sound amazing.

Interesting you mention a warehouse style space influencing how the amp sounds, the gig was in Hanger (Andrews Land Theatre, big old warehouse).
    After seeing how cheap they were I was awful tempted to just bash the order button but I did think to try again before I get that far, it may well have been the room and PA that sounded good.

Should have a few hours to burn on Saturday in town, may as well have a go at one again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I wouldn't say no to a few solidstate amps that are on the market, and more if we include digital. The Roland JC series are some of the most well regarded solid-state amps ever made. Nothing to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

And dont forget the cheap and cheerful Vox Pathfinder , one of the best ss practice amps there is !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

I'd take a "good" SS amp over a great valve amp which has never had tubes replaced or been shown any love in the last 10 years personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

TBH I think theres a lot of Valve Amp snobbery around myself included, went out and bought a Roland Blues Cube artist Didn't get on with it sold it got a Mesa 22 Studio plus. But, and its a big but for years I have had a Roland cube 80 and I just can not part with it because if I'm practicing at home I have my Firehawk FX on that with a looper pedal and an ABY switch switching my guitar directly over to the Mesa for lead tones, the thing about the cube is that because its not valve based you know exactly what to expect across all of the volume ranges it can sound warm if you want it to. So I think they have their place and if I was in a bind I'd have no hesitation using the Cube its a great amp.

Edit: I haven't had the opportuinity to try a Quilter yet but by all accounts they're amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I'll never let go of my original Roland Microcube. Love it!

I had a Micro cube that went missing along the way, was not a bit sad that it went missing. :p

This has brought me back here, I'm shocked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I would totally play a Jazz Chorus if I had limitless money, space and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I would totally play a Jazz Chorus if I had limitless money, space and time.

They are so bloody heavy!!

Advertisement