Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding HDMI x 2 and possibly changing processor

Options
  • 11-09-2016 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a HP ProDesk 400 G1 MT (64bit Windows 7) machine that doesn't have an HDMI output. I want to add at least one (possibly 2 if it's just as easy) for a dual monitor setup but I've never done it before. I've attached a few photos. Can someone point me in the right direction of what exactly I'll need by way of hardware and where it goes? Will I need a new graphics card? The current one (via dxdiag.exe) says it's an Intel HD Graphics 4400. Is that a separate card or is it part of the processor below?

The machine has an Intel i3-4130 CPU@3.40GHz processor. Is it worth upgrading to an i5? I won't be using it for gaming, just work, but I'll be running a good few applications at the same time (though none are particularly CPU intensive). I'm going to add more RAM and change the HD to an SSD so I'm wondering is this enough for the moment rather than changing the processor.

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully helping.

uF7iqq0.jpg

Ml9Plcx.jpg

YAHE846.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Ssd should be a nice improvement. Make it faster in general.

A gtx 750 or 750 ti will suit your needs.

Will need to check dimensions for the case. You can get rhe smaller one fan variant of this card but it will mosy likely only have one hdmi.

Perhaps below may do size wise. H=35 L=161 W=106 mm.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00NM3BTVG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473585931&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=gtx+750+ti+low+profile&dpPl=1&dpID=51q6Ap9DPvL&ref=plSrch#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Ssd should be a nice improvement. Make it faster in general.

A gtx 750 or 750 ti will suit your needs.

Will need to check dimensions for the case. You can get rhe smaller one fan variant of this card but it will mosy likely only have one hdmi.

Perhaps below may do size wise.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00NM3BTVG/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1473585931&sr=8-3&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=gtx+750+ti+low+profile&dpPl=1&dpID=51q6Ap9DPvL&ref=plSrch#

Does that slot into one of the empty slots in my picture? Or does it replace the one that's already there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If you're not gaming or doing anything GPU intensive, the onboard video will support two monitors just fine. Presumably the monitors are HDMI/DVI, in which case you can use a DVI to DVI for one, and a VGA-DVI adaptor for the second, without the need for HDMI.

SSD will make a massive difference but if programs are generally not too taxing, the i3 is an excellent processor and doesn't need upgrading.

If you're not gaming or doing anything GPU intensive, the onboard video will support two monitors just fine. Presumably the monitors are HDMI/DVI, in which case you can use a DVI to DVI for one, and a VGA-DVI adaptor for the second, without the need for HDMI.

SSD will make a massive difference but if programs are generally not too taxing, the i3 is an excellent processor and doesn't need upgrading.

Monitors are HDMI/VGA so will the current ports work? I'm not familiar with the port beside the VGA one on the PC. Is that a DVI? Can you go DVI to HDMI?

See directly under cpu fan with avc on it. The long black slot. it fits in there.

As terror said if 2 hdmi isn't essential. And your monitor has the other connections (most do) You won't need the gpu at all.

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    Monitors are HDMI/VGA so will the current ports work? I'm not familiar with the port beside the VGA one on the PC. Is that a DVI? Can you go DVI to HDMI?

You can. Dvi to hdmi take a pic of monitor ports if possible.

Yes, if they're HDMI/VGA (which is unusual, most HDMI monitors also have DVI) - one directly from VGA to VGA, and the second from DVI to HDMI via €2 adaptor.

Yes, if they're HDMI/VGA (which is unusual, most HDMI monitors also have DVI) - one directly from VGA to VGA, and the second from DVI to HDMI via €2 adaptor.

Will go look for that adapter. Cheers.

Seeing them for 20quid. Any links to one for 2?

G5Oe1fr.jpg

Yup, that will do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement