Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grocery price in Dublin compare to UK

Options
  • 10-09-2016 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi ,

I am moving to Dublin from UK and just want to check that what are the grocery prices in Dublin as compare to UK ?
    I can see Aldi and Lidl in various locations online but are there prices are similar to those in UK or any different ?

I want comparison on general day to day stuff like Milk , bread , eggs , pasta , salad ect.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Most people here will only shop in Ireland, so they won't know prices in the UK. You would be best off to either look up websites like tesco.ie. Alternatively, post a list of products here with their UK prices, and people may be able to provide the cost of them in Dublin - but you'll need to give a specific list of items.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

uma103 wrote: »
    Hi ,

I am moving to Dublin from UK and just want to check that what are the grocery prices in Dublin as compare to UK ?
    I can see Aldi and Lidl in various locations online but are there prices are similar to those in UK or any different ?

I want comparison on general day to day stuff like Milk , bread , eggs , pasta , salad ect.

Thanks

It all depends where you shop.
    For example, I buy a 1litre carton of Tesco branded milk for 75c but if you buy the branded one, such as Premier Dairies, it would be €1.10.

I buy Tesco Free Range eggs, 12-box, for €3.35.

I buy Toastie bread for €1.49 but there are cheaper versions and dearer ones.

Pasta is relatively cheap.
    I buy Tesco Spaghetti for 49c but if you chose the premium brands, you could pay anything up to €4.

Go to Tesco.ie to see the prices of foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,321 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think in general the prices here are scandalous compared to uk. There are many discount stores all over uk where even branded products can be had for tiny money. Not so much available here in that line.

mickdw wrote: »
    I think in general the prices here are scandalous compared to uk. There are many discount stores all over uk where even branded products can be had for tiny money. Not so much available here in that line.

I don't agree.
    I've seen ads on telly for UK supermarkets and they're being charged around £2 for a pack of 6 sausages which is quite expensive compared to our prices.

I saw an ad for Asda and they were charging £4 for a Dr Oetker pizza.
    Sure when you convert that to Euro, that's over a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

fussyonion wrote: »
    I don't agree.
    I've seen ads on telly for UK supermarkets and they're being charged around £2 for a pack of 6 sausages which is quite expensive compared to our prices.

I'm often in the UK, and it can vary between different ranges / brands etc... I think overall, you won't notice a big difference.

Where you'll be stung is toiletries, OTC medicines etc...
    Good example is razor blades:

Gillette Fusion Razor Blades 4 Pack
    £10.50 (€12.40 approx)
    UK - http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=260664138

ROI - http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=260663957
    €18.20!! (£15.41 approx)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You'll actually find Ireland cheaper for groceries - only if you stick to non-brand products.

On a side note, OP, you're in for a treat when you taste Irish Cadbury's.
    We have shops here called Dealz, which you'll know better as Poundland, and they stock UK Cadbury's.
    If that's what you've been eating, I feel for you.
    When you come here, taste the difference :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

can you think of any products off hand that are "scandalously" more expensive here than in the UK? is it certain brands or own brands? I was in a centra or similar up north and was surprised to see most stuff I looked at was more expensive. The likes of poundland often have smaller portion packets so they end up around the same price per unit weight/volume

tesco.ie are about the only ones to clearly disclose their prices, I can only presume the others are presumably running scared. If you look at offical independent price comparisons they are not realistic, not to me anyway, most of the time their rule is to ignore special offers, while thats what I specifically look for, as the "normal" price is often false.

Tesco here have some stupid prices for items, just so they can legally declare that it has been reduced by 50% in a few weeks. The likes of lidl & aldi will not have as many reductions like this.

e.g. a walls romantica ice cream cake is 6.95 in tesco at the moment

Also, Dunnes and Supervalu don't have a website that displays the prices of their groceries and I find that weird when Tesco does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

fussyonion wrote: »
    Also, Dunnes and Supervalu don't have a website that displays the prices of their groceries and I find that weird when Tesco does.

I think different areas will have different prices, hence they can't put that up ;).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Supervalu do, they took over Superquinn's online shopping site

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,224 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They aren't, though. Aldi/Lidl prices are the same or cheaper here; and those discount stores exist here too

If you insist on buying branded products or shopping in M&S you may notice a slightly higher price here. 99% of price comparisons made here include booze - where we have different duty. Recently saw griping over a deal that included prosecco, where our duty is around twice that of the UK!

There are probably slightly more provincial areas here that don't have a "major" supermarket, bar Supervalu who are traditionally expensive, which can lead to a perception of prices being higher when you compare to a similar town in the UK that will likely have one of Tesco/Morrisons/Sainsburys and a Co-op. But every one horse town in the country has a Lidl or Aldi or both now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

overall, i'd say Ireland is cheaper. Weekly shop in Ireland for a family of 4 was always around the EUR120-130 mark, now weekly shop in the UK is around the £120-130 mark, so 20% dearer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Recently seen Nurofen 200ml at 6.99 in STG, here I paid €13.00 the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

vicwatson wrote: »
    Recently seen Nurofen 200ml at 6.99 in STG, here I paid €13.00 the other day.

Better not have them for dinner too often!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Better not have them for dinner too often!

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

I've moved from Ireland to UK and I find groceries to be more expensive in UK. Although that could be just Sainsbury. Lidl is pretty much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 uma103

Thank you all for you advise

How about local produce in Ireland like Fruits , Vegetables , cheese ect ?

In Uk most of the fruit and vegetables come form abroad (or at-least the one i buy) I remember going to France and Spain and every fruit and vegetable with Produced in France or Produces in Spain labels on them . Do Ireland produce most of its fruits and vegetables or imported form southern Europe ?

One thing i can say that Milk is cheaper in UK as we pay 89p for 4 pints (2.2L) in Asda , for the same price in Ireland its just 1 L form tesco or aldi ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

One thing i can say that Milk is cheaper in UK as we pay 89p for 4 pints (2.2L) in Asda , for the same price in Ireland its just 1 L form tesco or aldi ect.
    89p is €1.04, 2L of milk in tesco is €1.49

I was getting 3L of milk for 1.49 in a local green grocer, he used to do 2L for 2 euro. He is now sadly shut down but I did see other small shops selling the same milk cheaply a while ago, I don't drink much milk so am not keeping an eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Harvey Normal

In Uk most of the fruit and vegetables come form abroad (or at-least the one i buy) I remember going to France and Spain and every fruit and vegetable with Produced in France or Produces in Spain labels on them . Do Ireland produce most of its fruits and vegetables or imported form southern Europe ?

Most food in Ireland is locally produced except the stuff we can't produce (oranges etc). Some supermarkets name the farm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

rubadub wrote: »
    can you think of any products off hand that are "scandalously" more expensive here than in the UK? is it certain brands or own brands? I was in a centra or similar up north and was surprised to see most stuff I looked at was more expensive.

Alcohol would be one. Bells whiskey, £13 in Asda, €22 in Tesco. £13 is €15 euros.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Depends - cabbages and potatoes tend to be Irish, carrots too occasionally.
    Most other vegetables and most fruit with the exception of strawberries would be imported from what I can see.
    Stay away from tomatoes grown in Ireland.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Stay away from tomatoes grown in Ireland.

Nonsense.
    Tesco do cracking Irish on the vine tomatoes during the summer. Out of season, I'd agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,634 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Having recently done a shop in Sainsburys, I would say with the exception of alcohol and medicines (which I wouldn't class as groceries strictly speaking), not much difference between there and LIDL\ALDI.
    Maybe even better value down here on meat, fruit and veg, depending on what sterling is doing this week and what deals LIDL\ALDI are running this week.

If you want branded goods, you would be better off going to Dunnes for their spend €50 get €10 off next shop coupons.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

IMO I dont think Irish food and UK food is comparable. I believe and a lot of Irish people who have lived in the UK would agree UK food is pretty poor quality. Irish food is slightly more expensive, but it is superior to UK food. You will go to an Irish Supermarket and find very little British food despite it being cheaper, as Irish people just wont eat it. Irish people are proud and will tend to buy Irish, but a lot of it done to taste and quality. British Pork IMO is inedible. Ireland is a massive exporter of food for a reason ie the superior quality

A lot of our fruit and veg is produced in North County Dublin. Some of it has to be imported due to the climate and the seasons. But a lot of it would be Irish.

OP you need to take into account that UK prices will seem really cheap compared to Ireland due to the collapse in the Euro. I imagine when Supermarkets in the UK start to take into account the massive fall in the value of the Euro, the difference will narrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'm in the north regularly and always go to Asda to stock up. The only thing I bother stocking up on though us asda brand paracetamol and ibuprofen as well as stuff like shampoo and shower gel. Food is generally cheaper now in the south and there's not much difference in wine or beer anymore. That'll change if the minimum pricing comes in of course.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    IMO I dont think Irish food and UK food is comparable. I believe and a lot of Irish people who have lived in the UK would agree UK food is pretty poor quality. Irish food is slightly more expensive, but it is superior to UK food. You will go to an Irish Supermarket and find very little British food despite it being cheaper, as Irish people just wont eat it. Irish people are proud and will tend to buy Irish, but a lot of it done to taste and quality. British Pork IMO is inedible. Ireland is a massive exporter of food for a reason ie the superior quality

A lot of our fruit and veg is produced in North County Dublin. Some of it has to be imported due to the climate and the seasons. But a lot of it would be Irish.

OP you need to take into account that UK prices will seem really cheap compared to Ireland due to the collapse in the Euro. I imagine when Supermarkets in the UK start to take into account the massive fall in the value of the Euro, the difference will narrow

This is utter nonsense.
    I've shopped and cooked in the UK many, many times in the last 15 years and can absolutely refute pretty much everything you've said about about British food.

I suspect that you are comparing really cheap poor quality British produce with premium quality Irish food. The reality is that both areas have both cheap poor food and much better quality produce as well.

Your example of British pork makes me laugh. The vast, vast majority of Irish pork is indoor factory reared tasteless white meat. It is extremely cheap and has no discernible flavour. Britain, on the other hand, produces most of its pork outdoors - You see the fields with huts for the pigs all over the place. The quality is excellent.

I've bought some pretty poor veg in the UK - just like I have here but I've also bought fantastic British veg and meat produce.

It's very easy to buy cheap crap from one of the big supermarkets over there and then compare it to premium Irish produce.
    It's not comparing like with like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

This is utter nonsense.
    I've shopped and cooked in the UK many, many times in the last 15 years and can absolutely refute pretty much everything you've said about about British food.

I suspect that you are comparing really cheap poor quality British produce with premium quality Irish food. The reality is that both areas have both cheap poor food and much better quality produce as well.

Your example of British pork makes me laugh. The vast, vast majority of Irish pork is indoor factory reared tasteless white meat. It is extremely cheap and has no discernible flavour. Britain, on the other hand, produces most of its pork outdoors - You see the fields with huts for the pigs all over the place. The quality is excellent.

I've bought some pretty poor veg in the UK - just like I have here but I've also bought fantastic British veg and meat produce.

It's very easy to buy cheap crap from one of the big supermarkets over there and then compare it to premium Irish produce.
    It's not comparing like with like.

You are making a lot of assumptions. I dont buy cheap food and never have. I find even UK made stuff from M&S isnt great when compared to basic Irish produced food. Im not comparing cheap British Food with premium Irish food.

The UK produces most of its Pork outdoors? That is amazing considering in late 2012 only 1/2% of it was free range. It is truly remarkable that in the last 3 years that a majority of UK pigs are now free range. It is so unremarkable that is hard to believe!

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19976691

Is British Food is so amazing like you think it is. Why do you never see any of it outside of the UK? Even in Ireland a few hundred miles away, you see mostly Irish produce. If you go to a Germany or any other country in mainland Europe you will find Irish Butter, Cheese, Beef etc. I seriously doubt you will find any of "remarkable" British foods you are on about, as they arent so remarkable to any one other than Brits. Unless bog standard Irish beef and Kerrygold is now a premium product?

Im comparing cheap UK food to "premium" Irish food. Germans and Italians etc cant get over how great Irish food is. I have yet to hear them say the same things about UK food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Im comparing cheap UK food to "premium" Irish food. Germans and Italians etc cant get over how great Irish food is. I have yet to hear them say the same things about UK food

Which Germans and Italians? When did they say this? Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder there :).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I live in northern Scotland and find the quality of produce to be significantly lower than at home, and have found that you're much more likely to eat something truly awful when eating out than you would be at home. The nearest high quality farm shop is over an hour's drive for me, and there are no farmers markets at all. I live in a former major fishing city and the locals do not eat fish (other than battered hake) and getting fresh fish to cook at home is nigh on impossible.

Edinburgh, London etc. however, have great food cultures.

Advertisement