Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed limit changes in Co. Clare

Options
  • 10-09-2016 8:27pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,355 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've posted this in the Roads forum but I said I'd also post here in case any locals that don't use that forum don't see it.

After an ongoing audit of speed limits by Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII), the following adjustments will be made to speed limits in Co. Clare

* The N67 through Co. Clare will be reduced from 100km/h to 80km/h
    * Stretches of the N68 Ennis-Kilrush and N85 Ennis-Ennistymon road will be reduced from 100km/h to 80km/h
    * Stretches of the R352 Ennis-Portumna road will be increased from 80km/h to 100km/h.

http://www.clare.fm/news/speed-limits-be-reduced-clare-roads

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭fernrock

Re the speed limit changes:
    A mysterious 50 Km/h speed limit has appeared on the N68 going towards Kilrush approx 4Km from the roundabout where the N85 joins the N68.

This lasts for approx 3Km and resumes to 100 Km/h approx 300 meters just BEFORE a school.

Traveling from Kilrush to Ennis the 100 Km/h resumes approx 300m nearer to Ennis than the the Ennis to Kilrush sign.

Confusing !!, the signs are offset on different sides of the road.

There is no warning of the sudden drop from 100 to 50, as is the case when approaching Lisseycasey, where the drop to 60 is advised in advance with a black rimmed sign.

Why is this limit there on a good wide road (for much of the 3km)

My guess is a revenue gathering speed trap as, the sign are missed by most users.

How stupid is to INCREASE a speed limit 300m before a school.

Any ideas Clare Co Co ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

fernrock wrote: »
    A mysterious 50 Km/h speed limit has appeared on the N68 going towards Kilrush approx 4Km from the roundabout where the N85 joins the N68.

This lasts for approx 3Km and resumes to 100 Km/h approx 300 meters just BEFORE a school.

Traveling from Kilrush to Ennis the 100 Km/h resumes approx 300m nearer to Ennis than the the Ennis to Kilrush sign.

There is no warning of the sudden drop from 100 to 50, as in approaching Lisseycasey where the drop to 60 is advised in advance with a black rimmed sign.

My guess is a revenue gathering speed trap as, the sign are missed by most users.

Any ideas Clare Co Co ?

Complain to TII. They are the culprits in this kind of nonesense. That is similar to having the Old N4 from Dublin to Kinnegad is now 80KPH , while the windy N59 fro Westport to Leenane is 100KPH. You could'nt make up some of these nonsesical decisions if you tried:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

fernrock wrote: »

There is no warning of the sudden drop from 100 to 50, as is the case when approaching Lisseycasey, where the drop to 60 is advised in advance with a black rimmed sign.

Any ideas Clare Co Co ?

Apparently there is road works due to start soon. That sign has been up for nearly 2 months now. It should have an advance warning or speed limit should drop 100-80-60-50. 100-50 is dangerous as some drivers will stand on the brakes to get from 100 to 50 causing rear ends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭fernrock

ger664 wrote: »
    Apparently there is road works due to start soon. That sign has been up for nearly 2 months now. It should have an advance warning or speed limit should drop 100-80-60-50. 100-50 is dangerous as some drivers will stand on the brakes to get from 100 to 50 causing rear ends.

I agree, it would be needed for roadworks and, like you I have see them in place over the summer but, why not advise drivers of the pending restriction and the reason for same.

Likewise as they were putting up signs why not extend beyond the school.
    It is fairly natural for drivers who have been slowed for some reason, to put the boot down when they see the end of the restriction.
    Which in this case is approx 300m before a school.

Advertisement