Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best transport city in the world?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Copenhagen is generally an extremely expensive city though, just go and look at the price of hotels, I was thinking about a trip there not so long ago and the price of hotels is ridiculous, for the same price as You'd get a 3 star hotel in some capitals you'd be getting a dorm bed in a hostel there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Tin Roofer

I don't like being experimented on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

devnull wrote: »
    Copenhagen is generally an extremely expensive city though, just go and look at the price of hotels, I was thinking about a trip there not so long ago and the price of hotels is ridiculous, for the same price as You'd get a 3 star hotel in some capitals you'd be getting a dorm bed in a hostel there.

What's that got to do with transport???

Although i haven't been there in years, Munich had a pretty damn good transport system when i lived there - integrated, punctual, efficient and very user friendly, with a good range of options. Very safe as well.

Can only imagine it's improved in the intervening years.

Eta.... just read the link in the OP.... wtf???

So what's this thread ACTUALLY about?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

DUBLIN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Tin Roofer wrote: »
    I don't like being experimented on.

You are, though, whether you like it or not!

Copenhagen is expensive for visitors; perhaps less so for those who work there?

The Copenhagen building link was an example of what one city is doing. Are there other cities that do it better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Vienna is amazing. Copenhagen, Stockholm, Amsterdam are all great. Lisbon's system is very good and affordable, even if it can look scruffy.
    My visits to German cities were too brief but they all seemed to have their act together.
    Budapest and Prague too, and Krakow (no underground in Krakow, but extensive tram network)

mhge wrote: »
    Vienna is amazing. Copenhagen, Stockholm, Amsterdam are all great. Lisbon's system is very good and affordable, even if it can look scruffy.
    My visits to German cities were too brief but they all seemed to have their act together.
    Budapest and Prague too, and Krakow (no underground in Krakow, but extensive tram network)

What makes them good, and how could Dublin steal and even improve their ideas?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What's that got to do with transport???

The point being that just because somewhere has better transport it doesn't mean that it is a better city to live in, someone has to pay for that transport, which can lead to a higher cost of living or alternatively less spending in other areas.

German systems I have seen are very good, I was in Paris a few weeks ago and also seemed to be very good from what I saw but I only used Metro, RER and some suburban trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Chuchote wrote: »
    What makes them good, and how could Dublin steal and even improve their ideas?

Numerous modes of transport (underground/tram/bus/suburban train) integrated into a clear system. Rail based so high capacity. Buses largely eliminated from the city centre apart from some skeleton routes, buses are for feeder or orbital routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Brno in the Czech republic(south of Prague).

You are never more than a five minute walk from a bus or tram stop. The buses and trams are integrated and generally run perpendicular to each other. I was once waiting 15 minutes for the bus and it wasnt showing. I checked the website and it said "The number 25 bus has broken down, a replacement is on its way". The you clicked your bus stop and it said "The replacement bus will be at your stop in 6 minutes". 5 and a half minutes later the bus arrived. The tickets work on all systems.

Prague is great too, they have trams, buses and an underground. Again, all integrated and near each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

The point being that just because somewhere has better transport it doesn't mean that it is a better city to live in, someone has to pay for that transport, which can lead to a higher cost of living or alternatively less spending in other areas.

Thats nice but this thread isnt about which city is best to live in. Its what city has the best transport. Maybe you were trying to say that some cities with outstanding transport systems are also expensive cities which is what pays for the transport. Unfortunately thats not the case either. Atlanta - pricey city, crap transport. Prague, cheap city, fabulous transport.

German systems I have seen are very good, I was in Paris a few weeks ago and also seemed to be very good from what I saw but I only used Metro, RER and some suburban trains.

Not necessarily - good cycling infrastructure (eg greenways) is relatively very cheap to provide, and feeds back into the economy with lessened health costs and road wear, for instance.

Paris is good, except that it's awfully smoggy. I've used buses, velib' (bike share), metro, trams and RER there and they're interoperable (except RER) - if you have a bus ticket you can use it on the metro within the same hour. The smog problem may go away; cycling modal share is increasing fast, and the city has pledged to have no vehicles using diesel by 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Have been there in the last month or so. While the PT seems very good the traffic on the streets is horrific so major minus point for buses. Plus the manditory change and passport check when travelling to Malmo (a major commuting location) also I'd have to say close but not quite.

Have been there in the last month or so. While the PT seems very good the traffic on the streets is horrific so major minus point for buses. Plus the manditory change and passport check when travelling to Malmo (a major commuting location) also I'd have to say close but not quite.

Malmo to Copenhagen http://goscandinavia.about.com/od/gettingfromcitytocity/qt/copenhagenmalmo.htm €13 by bus, not so bad.

The passport checks are refugee stuff since last January http://www.thelocal.se/20160104/border-checks-begin-on-sweden-denmark-bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Best I have been to: Hong Kong. Public Transport is second to none. There is almost no part you cannot easily reach by metro, tram, train or bus. The Octopus smart card is the most advanced I have seen for paying your fare.
    It also has excellent cycling infrastructure which is remarkable for such a crowded place.

Plus pedestrians are segregated on raised walk ways throughout the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Someone mentioned Paris there. Great network but most of the metro is very old. If you are there in the summertime it can get really bad really quick. Lots of fainting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭VG31

All main German and Austrian cities have excellent transport systems. The rural transport is great as well. Similar areas in Ireland have no public transport at all.

Public transport in Austria tends to be more expensive than Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

bigar wrote: »
    Best I have been to: Hong Kong. Public Transport is second to none. There is almost no part you cannot easily reach by metro, tram, train or bus. The Octopus smart card is the most advanced I have seen for paying your fare.
    It also has excellent cycling infrastructure which is remarkable for such a crowded place.

Plus pedestrians are segregated on raised walk ways throughout the city centre.
    I would definitely agree with you on public transport; the MTR is incredibly efficient, and incredibly cheap.

Not so much on the cycling....outside of the New Territories, there is basically no cycling infrastructure. I live in Kowloon and there's not a hope in hell I would attempt to cycle on the roads (and you'll see noone else doing it, either).

cgcsb wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Paris there. Great network but most of the metro is very old. If you are there in the summertime it can get really bad really quick. Lots of fainting.

Not to mention it can be pretty grody at rush hour; on visits, I've come back and leapt into a shower and dumped all clothes into the laundry basket after rubbing shoulders with every microbe in Paris on a crowded metro.

Advertisement