Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW gear change

Options
  • 09-09-2016 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

Apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere on the site, but I couldn't find anything on it.

I need advice on how to use BMW Steptronic gears. The automatic part has the usual D-N-R-P sequence. Then you can shift to the left for manual, where it says M/S. But when you're in that mode, there are only two possible selector positions. How do you change gears from there?

It's a 2002 525i.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

aa_ wrote: »
    Hi,

Apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere on the site, but I couldn't find anything on it.

I need advice on how to use BMW Steptronic gears. The automatic part has the usual D-N-R-P sequence. Then you can shift to the left for manual, where it says M/S. But when you're in that mode, there are only two possible selector positions. How do you change gears from there?

It's a 2002 525i.

Up for up, down for down (or vice versa - no direct experience here...) :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

When you switch to the left it is in sports mode
    This is automatic gear changing same as when in normal D mode except it allows the car to rev higher before changing and when you take foot off accelerator you can feel the engine braking. It makes the acceleration quicker and lively

If you tip the leaver forward or backwards when in M/S mode you can manually control the gears
    The D on instrument display will show a number this number is gear number.
    If you select wrong gear like try take off in 5th the car will automatically select 2nd or if you try rev it into the red in low gear the electronics in gearbox will up shift.

To get it back in sports auto mode after using it in manual mode flip leaver back to right normal D mode then back to left M/S mode.

It's a fantastic auto box in BMW and I think it is referred to as tip tronic.

Have same car and after driving the auto just can't understand why anyone would want a manual version. When I first got car I played around with manually shifting but found the gearbox so good that I normally drive in D and when I need to shift just flip gear leaver to left sport mode and zoom away then flip leaver back to normal mode for cruising.

One thing I noticed is you can flip the gear box from D to N when driving but at very low speed (crawling) won't go back into D unless you stop completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭z6vm1dobfnca3x

aa_ wrote: »

there are only two possible selector positions. How do you change gears from there?

It's a 2002 525i.

Look at the bottom right corner of the dash as you move the stick back. You will see it change from M1 to M2, M3 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 aa_

Thanks guys, I've figured it out. I thought it wasn't working properly in manual mode, but that was because the gears don't change if the engine speed doesn't match the gear you're putting it in.

Visual - you're right, it would make no sense to buy a manual version, when you can have both manual and auto with the Steptronic system.

Advertisement