Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card

Options
  • 09-09-2016 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hello, I'm hoping someone here can help me with this. I recently bought a pc game but it wouldnt work correctly. I got in touch with the manufacturer and was told my graphics card does not support direct X 11, and I need "at least a AMD Radeon 4000, nVidia Geforce 420 or an Intell HD 4000 or better" to run the game.

I am not great with computers, so the above is double dutch to me! Can anyone tell me is this an expensive/difficult process, to get one of the above graphics cards on a computer?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

How old is your PC and what are the specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tonyduggan

Around 5 years is my guess and what do you mean by specs? Like I said, im not the best with computers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What is the game?

Go to start, control panel, and system - what does it say for processor and ram?

Then find device manager under system, and let us know what it says under 'display adaptor'.

Tropico 5.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @2.67GHz

RAM: 6.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

Hope this makes sense, thanks for your help!

You may need a new motherboard, gpu and cpu.

• Advertisement

Gonna guess your ram is ddr2 too.

All it says beside ram is 6gb. Would what you have said be expensive/worth the hassle for a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

tonyduggan wrote: »
    All it says beside ram is 6gb. Would what you have said be expensive/worth the hassle for a game?

Depends on the game. You could pick up a 2nd hand GFX card to meet the minimum specs of the game but without knowing which game exactly it's hard to tell as the mimimum specs can still mean the game is not worth playing at the lower end of things (i.e resolution, frame rate, fx etc.)

mordeith wrote: »
    Depends on the game. You could pick up a 2nd hand GFX card to meet the minimum specs of the game but without knowing which game exactly it's hard to tell as the mimimum specs can still mean the game is not worth playing at the lower end of things (i.e resolution, frame rate, fx etc.)

The game is Tropico 5. It works fine until you actually start a mission. You can see the graphics are alright but theres just black lines shooting everywhere on the scene. Kind of like in this video, but mine is more lines rather than full black out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeF9xUMj0zE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think virtually any relatively modern 2nd hand graphics card will be fine - something like a HD6670 for around €30 would do the trick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement