Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hypnotherapy for severe spider phobia

Options
  • 09-09-2016 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Ok so I know this is laughable to some people but it's spider season again and this has a big impact on my life.

It's reaching a point where I just don't know what to do anymore, I can't continue to live with this fear as it's getting worse every year.

If there is a spider in my home if affects me for days, long after it's been removed.

I was thinking that hypnotherapy might be a good idea?
    Does anyone have experience or knowledge of same?

And any suggestions for where to go.
    I'm based in Meath but Dublin would be fine.

Thank you and please be kind, my problem may be silly to some but it's honestly a huge issue in my life at this time of year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

You don't need to apologise for it. CBT would have more of an evidence base for treatment of a phobia than hypnotherapy, though.

Don't live anywhere near you so can't suggest anyone, sorry, but there are many therapists if you google.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

You don't need to apologise for it. CBT would have more of an evidence base for treatment of a phobia than hypnotherapy, though.

Don't live anywhere near you so can't suggest anyone, sorry, but there are many therapists if you google.

That's a good suggestion actually, thank you - I'll look into that now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

If you look at our Sticky How to find a counsellor/psychotherapist/psychologist you'll find details on how to find reputable CBT therapists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hypnotherapy isn't really a therapy at all. It's a human oddity that works sometimes on some people. It's suggestion, sometimes all people need is a nudge and hypnotherapy can give the impression it works, but it's often temporary and I don't think someone suggesting you don't fear spiders anymore is going to work.

alchemist33 post is a much better option. It's actual therapy that will have permanent effects.

Advertisement