Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airpods for android

Options
  • 09-09-2016 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,816 ✭✭✭✭

Do you think Android phone manufacturers such as Samsung, HTC, Sony etc will take a leave out of apples book and ditch the headphone Jack and go completely wireless ?

One problem is that most Android phones have FM Radio capabilities in which the headphone Jack(with headphones plugged in) is your antaina. Apple don't have FM Radios on there devices

Bought a pair of beats wireless in 2012 for about 240 Euro and only used the wireless mode a couple of times and got pretty sick of them quickly and changed back to Earbuds. My expensive beats are now my spare pair

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Do you think Android phone manufacturers such as Samsung, HTC, Sony etc will take a leave out of apples book and ditch the headphone Jack and go completely wireless ?

One problem is that most Android phones have FM Radio capabilities in which the headphone Jack(with headphones plugged in) is your antaina. Apple don't have FM Radios on there devices

Bought a pair of beats wireless in 2012 for about 240 Euro and only used the wireless mode a couple of times and got pretty sick of them quickly and changed back to Earbuds. My expensive beats are now my spare pair

Lg or Motorola already have a phone without headphone port, it's just a big deal now because Apple did it. (updated, Moto Z is the phone I'm thinking of)

I think all manufacturers will head in this direction, Fm on phones will stop also.

Lastly, Beats are expensive headphones, that doesn't make them good headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

According to Android Authority airpods will work with android albiet a few features might be lacking. Personally I'd rather stick toothbrushes in my ears!

_91069099_toothbrushpods_976.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's the having to charge them that's annoying to me. If you only had to charge them once a week, then I'd switch over.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I thought most Android phones had ditched FM years ago? I know I haven't had a phone with FM capabilities in years anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

5starpool wrote: »
    I thought most Android phones had ditched FM years ago? I know I haven't had a phone with FM capabilities in years anyhow.
    No, far from it. Whilst its not in every phone. Still in most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,816 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Love FM on my phone. Handy being at matches. Apps such as tunein radio are good but have slight delay compared to using the FM

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ush1 wrote: »
    It's the having to charge them that's annoying to me. If you only had to charge them once a week, then I'd switch over.
    I've been using wireless headphones for 5/6 years now.

Tbh, the charging issue is largely overblown. If you're the kind of person who spends a lot of time using your devices on the go, then there's a good chance you're already carrying a charger with you.

I use mine going in and out of work, going for a run at lunchtime, and the odd time walking to/from the pub. Virtually all of the time I am somewhere that I can plug them in to recharge them. Whether that's in work or at home or in the car.

The number of scenarios in which you will find yourself without access to power is far smaller than you think, and if you're going camping or something then you're already going to have a solution to charge your phone, right? So why not your earphones too.

The airpods are a terrible product for other reasons, but having to charge them is miles down the list of negative points. Personally I consider the freedom of not having a cable hanging down inside or outside my clothes, tugging on my ears and getting in caught in things to hugely outweigh the inconvenience of charging them every few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,658 ✭✭✭✭listermint

PTH2009 wrote: »

'Airpods' have been done way before apple sniffed around.

As for smaller wireless there are many some good some bad, personally ive found the ones with the cable to connect each bud to be better.

Ive had a pai of Jaybird X for 2 years and whilst they are expensive (cheaper than the apple) they have quality sound, lifetime guarantee and 8-10 hours battery.

Also tbh ive seen the images of the apple ones and the design is extremely poor, i can see them falling out of most peoples ears with the turn of the head or a nod i dont like them.

Most decent ones come with a wing like structure to secure the bud into the ear canal.

Apple -1 on this one

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Chibs

• Registered Users Posts: 37,816 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Chibs wrote: »

Wow there expensive but look better than the airpods

Think I'll stick to the wired earbuds from dealz for €1.50 lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,828 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I use a Sony MW1 - they make other models too.

It's a small unit that connects via Bluetooth & gives full call functions plus an mp3 player & radio.

They are inexpensive & you can use any headphones as the unit has a built in mic.

Advertisement