Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi constantly disconnecting when phone left idle

Options
  • 08-09-2016 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭

Hi

My home wifi network uses a tp link mr3420 to distribute the signal from the attic. Any desktops/laptops receive a strong, consistent signal without issue. My problem is any android devices seem to constantly drop connection, not generally whilst in use but if left idle for a period. Even when I use phone again wifi wont connect and I have to disconnect and reconnect, sometimes a few times. Android wifi settings are set to always on etc. I tried switching router to b/g only and fixed channel instead of auto. Any suggestions are welcome thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hi

My home wifi network uses a tp link mr3420 to distribute the signal from the attic. Any desktops/laptops receive a strong, consistent signal without issue. My problem is any android devices seem to constantly drop connection, not generally whilst in use but if left idle for a period. Even when I use phone again wifi wont connect and I have to disconnect and reconnect, sometimes a few times. Android wifi settings are set to always on etc. I tried switching router to b/g only and fixed channel instead of auto. Any suggestions are welcome thanks

Any chance you have a power saving setting on or a battery saving app on your devices? They'll often cut off wifi when your phone is idle to save power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Any chance you have a power saving setting on or a battery saving app on your devices? They'll often cut off wifi when your phone is idle to save power.

Thanks, no none of the above are on, both phonea are zte and the tablet is a nexus 7. I think it might be a setting in the wifi router.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Keith186

Had this problem years ago with a buffalo router from Magnet and a HTC phone. Wasn't able to resolve it unfortunately until I switched routers when I changed ISP.

There's a setting in developer options to aggressively switch to mobile internet if WiFi signal is is weak but it's off by default and I doubt you switched it on.

2.4ghz works better over a long distance compared to 5ghz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Keith186 wrote: »
    Had this problem years ago with a buffalo router from Magnet and a HTC phone. Wasn't able to resolve it unfortunately until I switched routers when I changed ISP.

There's a setting in developer options to aggressively switch to mobile internet if WiFi signal is is weak but it's off by default and I doubt you switched it on.
    2.4ghz works better over a long distance compared to 5ghz.

Thanks, yea router is set to 2.4ghz and laptops/desktop work fine anywhere in house. My mum is on a measly 500mb data allowance on her phone so she wants to use WiFi as much as possible at home.

Advertisement