Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cast iron pans to increase iron levels?

Options
  • 08-09-2016 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭

I see Lidl have a cast iron pan on sale next week (from Monday the 12th) for 18.99 and I thought this might be a good way of increasing iron intake.

I often find that cast iron kitchenware is actually coated and it is usually with enamel even though they don’t mention this.

Enamel I think is easy to spot but could they be coated with something else and if so is there a way to tell?

If it is coated will this mean that it is worthless to use for increasing iron intake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

According to this: http://nourishedkitchen.com/enameled-cast-iron-cookware/ yes -the enamel prevents leeching (which some people see as a good thing!)

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Thanks for that.

Yeah someone who has too much iron or who doesn't want to absorb non-heme iron or who wants to cook acidic food in it (as iron reacts with it) may prefer not to use a non coated cast iron pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Wouldn't a well seasoned pan prevent much leaching anyway? mine has almost a laquer like coating from the seasoning.

Advertisement