Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill Island

Options
  • 08-09-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hello!

Myself and a group of mates are looking to go to Achill for New Years. Places are booking up fast. Any suggestions on where's the best place to go? By the looks of it Keel is very popular? And Dugort?

Need advice fast so we can book!

Cheers in advance

:)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

The action tends to be in Keel. Doogort would be quieter.

There is a tourism office at Achill Sound during the summer.

If it is closed you can enquire a the tourism office in Westport

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭irishgeo

a_kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello!

Myself and a group of mates are looking to go to Achill for New Years. Places are booking up fast. Any suggestions on where's the best place to go? By the looks of it Keel is very popular? And Dugort?

Need advice fast so we can book!

Cheers in advance

:)

keel is popular but lacks pubs if your planning a night in the pub. only one in the village. new years is OK in achill. I have first hand experience of it.

if you want to pm me with a bit more detail i can give you a few pointers of whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭davenachill

From there myself, I would recommend a night down in the Valley House, There is always a sing song so its a bit of craic!

If your looking for a nightclub, The Achill Head will be open if that's your cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 crazytealeaf

Jumping in on this thread as a group of us (only 6 confirmed so far, aged 26-30) are also considering spending new years in Achill.

We are considering what accommodation to go for at the minute too, was looking at an apartment beside the Strand hotel in Dugort. Our vague itinerary would be to ring in the new year likely in the Strand (or any other bars nearby?), Participate in the New years day swim, and then spend the day warming up by the fireplace with a drink in hand.

Could anyone advise if we might be a bit out of place here or if that lovely itinerary on paper might not be so great in reality?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Jumping in on this thread as a group of us (only 6 confirmed so far, aged 26-30) are also considering spending new years in Achill.

We are considering what accommodation to go for at the minute too, was looking at an apartment beside the Strand hotel in Dugort. Our vague itinerary would be to ring in the new year likely in the Strand (or any other bars nearby?), Participate in the New years day swim, and then spend the day warming up by the fireplace with a drink in hand.

Could anyone advise if we might be a bit out of place here or if that lovely itinerary on paper might not be so great in reality?

you'll will be fine , another suggestion is Mastersons pub is only a few mins in a car from the strand. you could also catch the last sunset of 2016 at one of the look out points on the island weather permitting of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement