Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CELT vs CELTA

Options
  • 08-09-2016 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I am sure this has been asked many times before, but I'm looking for a definitive answer (and/or experiential evidence to support an argument) as to whether there is a difference between these qualifications in terms of gaining employment abroad - specifically in non-EU countries.

I'm also wondering if there is an online resource that would give an idea of peak times for seeking employment in certain areas (i.e. it might be pointless to travel to a certain country at a certain time of year as it is during the off season).

I have a BA in English, and am looking into the option of emigrating in 2017 to teach while travelling through Asia/Middle East and South America.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Where would you like to teach? Some places in Asia don't require a CELTA/CELT/Trinity TESOL, and you could get by with an online TEFL (not that I'd advise it). China/HK hiring time would be April-June for a school, though year 'round for language centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gclarke

Looking at possibly UAE (or in that region, just because the salary seems most competitive there), or else further east to Vietnam.

At a minimum I would be doing the CELT course, I'm just not sure if I'll be leaving myself hamstrung by not doing the CELTA one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I think the CELT is basically comparable with the CELTA; I can't really speak to trying to get work with it, as I got my job with a CELTA. I can confidently state that CELTA is worthwhile though, and would give you a big head start in many places in eastern Asia. I'm in Hong Kong myself, I would recommend out here for sure. Exciting, busy city, perfect transport hub for traveling all over Asia, and you can make serious money on the EDB NET scheme (which doesn't require a PGDE or Masters, you can get it with a BA + CELTA). You might need to do a year out here in a centre or as an ELTA (English language teaching assistant) if you wanted to get onto it, but if you planned on staying for a couple years you'd save an awful lot. It's an expensive city rent-wise, but starting pay (for NET) is €65k+ per year, and tax is very low (you'll pay 10-15% of your yearly salary in one lump sum).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gclarke

Cool, thanks a lot for all the info, much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Eddy_Phelan

I am looking into his myself at the moment as well, any advice would be much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

I recently completed a CELTA at International House Galway (it is based in GMIT). It cost €1650 for a 4 week course, I think they have a course starting again in October.
    The pre course admin support was poor and they gave a few of the participants some poor advice, including telling one that they wouldn't need their laptop (you do), and also advising you to buy a large number of expensive reference texts. I would recommend getting one 'Teaching book' (Jim Scrivener or Jeremy Harmer) and one 'Grammar book' (maybe M.Swann) only.
    The admin aside, the course was very good and the 2 tutors were excellent. I had previously taught English but I still learned a lot. The classes are limited to 12 participants and with 2 tutors, this is an excellent balance. I fully recommend it.
    One thing it is a very very intense course, so do not plan on doing anything else during that time.
    I chose the CELTA over the CELT as it has much greater brand recognition abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

I would personally fork out the extra few quid for the CELTA. While the CELT is pretty much the same, it just saves the hassle of having to explain to prospective employers that there is no difference between it and the CELTA, who it is accredited by etc.

I know a very good teacher who was knocked back for a teaching position because the employers had never heard of the CELT and thought it was a cheap rip off. Of course, in 99% of cases this will not happen, but why take the chance.

Long story short, do the CELTA if you can. If not, the CELT should be fine for most places.

Advertisement