Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any financial/educational help for under 23 year olds that are independent?

Options
  • 08-09-2016 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Basically I'm in a crappy situation. I'm 21years old. I got a place in college and my parents have now turned their backs on me. I have zero financial support from them. They are refusing to give me documentation for me to apply for susi. They are also refusing to pay of my previous year of college that I had to drop out from for not having the fees. And I cannot register for my new place if I don't pay off the old fees that come to about 2 thousand euro. I also recently lost my job and I am looking for another one at the moment. I will try to apply for a load but I honestly don't think I will get it. I don't know if there Is there any hope of me going to college this year. I don't know where to go to get any sort of help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do you live with them yeah?? Because unless they charge you market rent they are supporting you in a fashion.

If you owe fees then you probably need to pay tuition too for the first year of this course so that's 2000 + 3000 + (1500-7000) all in for this year. If your parents wont go guarantor for a loan then you won't be able to go ahead. Best thing might be to find work for the year, defer your place, and pay off the outstanding fees and save for Y1 which will be expensive then try to claim SUSI for year 2 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Why were you expecting your parents to pay the fees for a year you dropped out of?

Advertisement