Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zakopane & the surrounding area & the Czech Rep

• 07-09-2016 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Heading to Zakopane tomorrow. Till Saturday. Will do a bit of hiking and such but if anyone has been there before it would be good to hear any suggestions of things to do at this time of year either indoors or outdoors or good places to eat and drink.

The next request is a bit harder to expect an answer to - has anyone drived from Zakopane into Slovakia and Czech Rep? What's the route/road like? Anything to do tourist wise on the way? Any suggestions on activities or place worth visiting for that part of Slovakia or easy Czech Rep?

Not sure I'll get an answer on this but please help if you can?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Zakopane is amazing and lots and lots of hiking and walking to do. You can walk up one of the mountains and be on the border of all 3 countries! As regards driving, haven't done it but it's fairly touristy so would expect it shouldn't be that bad road wise. But be ready for polish drivers. Fairly good but fairly aggressive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Zacopane was a fairly awkward place to reach either from Krakow or over the Tatras from Czech/Slovakia last time I was there. Maybe they've built some new roads to speed up the transport links, but I expect it still takes a while to get anywhere with the mountains. It is a great place where the Poles themselves greatly outnumbered the foreign tourists.

If the piano bar is still there you can sit on the swings at the bar while having your pint of Polish beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Great, thanks guys. If anyone wants to venture an area in Czech Rep or Slovakia to move on from away from Zakopane then please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I travel to northern slovakia frequently. Wife is from there.
    . Donavaly ( near ruzemberok) s definitely worth doing as is vysoke Tarry/ strbske pleso ( near poprad).
    Are you staying in SK?
    There are also the 2 caves in demenovska near liptovsky mikulas.

Ended up just passing through Slovakia only stopping for a castle there.

Stayed in Olomouc. Nice pretty city.

In Vienna now. Quite a dull city is my initial impression.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Dots1982 wrote: »

Olomouc is in the Czech republic :)

Dots1982 wrote: »

Olomouc is in the Czech republic :)

Yes I know, as I said I only passed through Slovakia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

I'm travelling to Zacopane beginning of March

What are prices like there

Eating out, beer, supermarket food, Ski pass, Ski rental?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Before we settled on Baden-Baden for last year's holiday, I had looked at Zakopane for a summer holiday. It ticked the boxes for outdoor activities and bit of entertainment in the evenings.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has holidayed in the Zakopane / surrounding area. We're (4 adults) looking at spending a week next Christmas somewhere with a bit of snow - but not necessarily a ski resort.

We're looking for biggish town with a few nice walks, variety of restaurants and some cultural activities.

I've provisionally booked an apartment in Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic from 22-29 December but I think we'll have to go further east for the ould sneachta.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement