Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCVP

Options
  • 07-09-2016 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

does the lcvp add points or replace points everyone is telling me not to do it because it is supposedly for stupid people who fail all their subjects
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ah yes, Irish education and its experts...
    I can only imagine what they had to say about the LCA.

The LCVP is not for stupid people.
    The LCVP is not for people who fail all their subjects.

Read here about what the LCVP is.

It was designed for students of particular combinations of subjects to do some self-directed learning and research and at the same time learn a little about the world of work which hopefully awaits everyone some day.

It is graded on a Distinction/Merit/Pass/Fail scale and a Distinction grade gets 70 points.

If you have 5 subjects that you are not too worried about and one where you are not sure you would get a C1 in HL or an A1 in OL, then LCVP can be an option to use for points, though it is worth doing as a subject in itself, particularly in one of the schools where it is well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Cookie201

so for example say i got a C1 in HL biology would i get a higher result if i add my LCVP points

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Doing this with the old points system...just making up numbers...

Say you got 430 points counting your C1 in HL Biology, then a Distinction in LCVP would make no difference as it is the same score as your C1, but say you got a C3 in your Biology, then you could add your LCVP points instead (if you got a Distinction) because it would give you more points than a C3 in Biology.

That's why people see it sometimes as a backup plan. Nothing to do with failing. You treat LCVP as just another one of your 6 subjects you count for points. If you are confident you will get C1 or higher in all your HL subjects, then you can just do the subject and not use it for points. Or not do it and choose another option.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Well, we won't have C1s any more, but a Distinction in LCVP (66 points) will be worth the same as a H4 (66 points).

Note that Distinctions in LCVP don't grow on trees, despite "everyone" telling you that it's an easy option ... I think the percentage of Distinctions usually runs about 10-13% (that's from memory though, so open to correction).

One big advantage though is that you put in the work during term-time and it's done and dusted before the exams hit.

As Spurious said, Cookie, pay no attention to the people who "know" everything; to be blunt, most of them talk the most utter shoite!

The most famous one going round this year which everyone "knew" was that the CAO only looks at your first 2 choices, and ignores the rest. Coz, yanno, they really want another 8 choices each from ~60,000 LC students cluttering up their database just for fun, loike! ;);)

:rolleyes:

Advertisement