Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education as a single mother!?

Options
  • 07-09-2016 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am a single mother and am looking to go to university to try and get a degree. I have 3 dependents but how am I supposed to live on €277 a week for 4 people and pay for childcare... let alone bills and heating, or back to school for my children... Is there any more support out there for those looking to go back and try and improve their circumstances!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

My advice to you would be to do something like level 5 childcare and start earning immediately. There's huge demand. the free childcare year means creches are full of toddlers for a few hours in the evenings so workers have no one to mind younger babies.

Do the higher education when you're in a position to do it. Perhaps look into part-time degree options or blended learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Blanchguy

You should also be entitled to child benefit, for three children that would be another €420 per month. And if you are paying for your housing, up to €95 a week of any maintenance you receive from the children's father will be disregarded as means.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kelly88

antix80 wrote: »
    My advice to you would be to do something like level 5 childcare and start earning immediately. There's huge demand. the free childcare year means creches are full of toddlers for a few hours in the evenings so workers have no one to mind younger babies.

Do the higher education when you're in a position to do it. Perhaps look into part-time degree options or blended learning.

Thank you for your reply! I already have a fetac level 5, I would love to do nursing but I don't think it well be an option with these figures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

If you are on OPF payment you may also qualify for the maintenance grant component of SUSI support. However this would affect other payments such as RA

https://susi.ie/quick-links/special-rate-awards/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Can you get the father(s) to help ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Kelly88

Thank you this is really helpful

Advertisement