Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If "Fear" came first.........

• 07-09-2016 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭

.....instead of the original, do you think it would be as big a hit as "The Walking Dead"?

Leaving out the odd dodgy episode of the original and the fact that "Fear" isn't as widely available to watch, it just doesn't seem to have captured the imagination like the original did.

I didn't start watching until it was well into Season 4 and from episode 1 I was hooked. I'm watching "Fear" hoping it gets going but if it had been the forerunner I'd say I would have given up by now.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I gave up on Fear after 1 episode of the second season. I may go back at some point, but I hate almost all the characters, so probably won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

I'm getting to like Alicia's character a lot more lately. I had high hopes for Nick at the beginning but he just seems to have gone off on a weird tangent.

I'll still stick with it but it could be 2 or 3 days after transmission before I'll watch it. I don't find it anywhere near as engrossing as the original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Like anything zombie related so regardless would have watched the original but 'Fear...' is just mind numbingly boring with the most insipid characters and a storyline that is going nowhere fast. People doing the most stupidest of things, the last finale was literally laughable - I mean seriously are the writers living in the real world?

Though I see some setups for the factions in TWD

Nothing like what they said the series would be like

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

If Fear came first...

...nobody would be watching it!

Are there any likeable characters in it? For me, No. Not one!

It will survive because of TWD hype, but on it's own I doubt if Fear The Walking Dead would be very popular at all, and may not have even made it past S1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭anon71

Okon wrote: »
    If Fear came first...

...nobody would be watching it!

Are there any likeable characters in it? For me, No. Not one!

It will survive because of TWD hype, but on it's own I doubt if Fear The Walking Dead would be very popular at all, and may not have even made it past S1.

I have the last episode ready to watch but I'm literally not bothered, I still say Alicia has potential to be likeable but Madison looks like she's on auto pilot, hardly a plot device so I'm assuming its the actress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I think a lot of the problem in "Fear" is the lack of the threat from other survivors that is a huge part of the main series charm.

I have always thought of the Walking Dead as more of an incidental zombie story and that the real problem has never been the corpses matching about munching the living, but rather how the living behave in response to this situation.

You could swap out the zombies and replace them with a Fallout style post nuclear world, or even just something like the USA falling to Chinese/Russian occupation after a horrendous World War scenario. With those changes you could still retain much of what makes TWD great, without a walker in sight.

On "Fear" there hasn't been really any coherently large group threatening the main characters since the army in Los Angeles. The group that tried to take over the Abigail was laughably underwhelming. The group with the best potential so far was the one at Tom Abigail's hacienda, and they utterly squandered that opportunity with their rush to give a mid season finale.

Of the remaining season 2, (precautionary marked off for benefit of those who've not seen the last 2 or 3 episodes)
    I really hope the pharmacist Alejandro and his group are revealed as something completely bonkers, because the only other faction seems to be the gang bangers at the mall, who are about as scary as a balloon bursting. The hotel is maybe being set up as some kind of Greene's farm, I dunno seems pretty unlikely, though Madison's taking about making it home, so maybe a big bad will pop up there by season's end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I really liked season 1 of Fear. I actually gave up after 2 episodes of season 2. The boat had a Herschels farm vibe to it which put me right off..

I liked the farm in TWD. With the TWD, it was more survivalist, hiding out in boarded up houses, setting up camps, then of all places the safe place they find was a prison. In Fear, they're on a yacht and then some mansion.

The acting is fairly bad. I think the Fear would have done well if was released in the 80s maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think the start of the 2nd half of season 2 has been a massive improvement on what came before the hotel theres actually 3 very watchable arcs now with the group been seperated , Sometimes on the main show this became a chore but these characters seem to work better split up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was watching it, but I did not even realise the second half of the season had come out, I just thought, that was that after the fire. At least i can binge watch it now.

My disappointment is the build up for how it all fell apart, then it turns out that they just skip over most of that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

anon71 wrote: »
    .....instead of the original, do you think it would be as big a hit as "The Walking Dead"?

Definitely not. FTWD is a great premise and opportunity but the writers, directors and producers have made a balls of it. They have completely failed to grasp what it is that people were actually looking for from FTWD that TWD didn't or couldn't supply. We were told it would transition the outbreak out the plague to the fall of Society but the show has avoided showing this and has tried to mimic TWD - unsuccessfully.

I think FTWD has been developed with marketing in mind - there has to be some character that will 'appeal' to every demographic and be relatable in some way: we had Asians, Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, single parents, step-parents, gays, step-kids, drug addicts, high achieving student,. You could argue that the show has to reflect Society but what is the likelihood that such an event would resemble a United Colours of Bennetton advert?
    They have skipped over, or just teased at, the most interesting parts of the potential story and gone full retard with trying to introduce intrapersonal stories that no-one gives a damn about.

It's piggybacking on the popularity of TWD and the sooner it is either made stand on its own feet or be put down, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

FTWD wouldn't have made it past the pilot episode if not for the hype from TWD. The pilot of TWD was spectacular and the rest of the season was amazing. Fear is boring and the characters are not great. I still can't believe they killed off the most interesting character (Daniel) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

No way I would still be watching Fear, or that it would have gotten out of the second season at best imo. It just isn't very good and though it suffers from us hating their stupidity so much because we already know more then they do about the outbreak/what to do, I think even without that it just isn't compelling viewing at all. Struggling to find a character I really care about at all.

I didn't watch the second part of the finale, and probably won't tbh.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Advertisement