Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing furniture in a campervan

Options
  • 06-09-2016 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

I've a T5 camper with a fairly standard array of storage units:

dscf8402%281%29.jpg

But that back corner feels like wasted space at the minute, and I want to upgrade it to a full height unit like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPYMwGcDI19q8Hdru0wlfwbJWPAvluUIA4Q5V8D1igwaNwbE1d

Has anyone ever done a similar addition before, and would you have any tips or pointers? Certainly willing to DIY it, but want to know if I'd be better with entirely new premade cabinets instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I was out at cosy campers in lucan a while ago and they had a few of these units lying around waiting g to be fitted. I also saw a couple of the finished articles and they looked the business. I would definitely get on to them for a quote or at least have a look at their stock for some inspiration. I've a feeling they might be expensive but the finish is top notch

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I was out at cosy campers in lucan a while ago and they had a few of these units lying around waiting g to be fitted. I also saw a couple of the finished articles and they looked the business. I would definitely get on to them for a quote or at least have a look at their stock for some inspiration. I've a feeling they might be expensive but the finish is top notch

When you say that, are you talking about the full interior units, including the gas and sink areas etc? Really what I'm after is upgrading the rear section from the cabinet you see (which has a lid on the top and an access cabinet at the back, 2 shelves inside) into a tall, full-height cabinet that'd be more useful for longer term trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

If nobody has done this work before, maybe they know the general things that I should be looking for when I'm DIY-ing it? For example:

- When I'm adding this internal equipment, is there any change to the registration or insurance? Do I have to notify people?
    - How do I make sure that everything is road-safe?
    - What are the best materials for building and finishing these kinds of cabinets?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

MJohnston wrote: »
    When you say that, are you talking about the full interior units, including the gas and sink areas etc? Really what I'm after is upgrading the rear section from the cabinet you see (which has a lid on the top and an access cabinet at the back, 2 shelves inside) into a tall, full-height cabinet that'd be more useful for longer term trips.

Here you go, have a look at the gallery tab on this
    http://www.cosycampers.ie/coversion-packages/urbem.html

More layouts and models here:
    http://www.cosycampers.ie/index.php/coversion-packages.html

Its ~20k for a full conversion, but if you called out to them they might be able to sell you the individual components, or at least point you in the right direction

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

If its just the rear cabinet section, then if you have basic diy skills its straightforward.

If material weight is an issue, which it wont be for a single cabinet, then use Vohringer

liteweight plywood.

You can buy individual units from many places on the net.

• Advertisement
Advertisement