Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strings

Options
  • 06-09-2016 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey guys, just wondering, would it be crazy to put light gauge acoustic strings on a epiphone dot?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

What are you trying to achieve?

If you want a wound G you could try some flatwound strings, although I suspect that's not the sound you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 S.murphy1994

Ravelleman wrote: »
    What are you trying to achieve?

If you want a wound G you could try some flatwound strings, although I suspect that's not the sound you are looking for.

I looking for a jazz/acoustic guitar sound but I don't know should I use a heavy gauge e-strings or light acoustic strings

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It'd work, but it probably won't sound great, especially through the pickup since you've got less iron moving in the magnetic field over the pickups. But hey, it's only a pack of strings. Give it a go and see if you like it. You won't break anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,021 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

You could try DR Zebra strings, they have a mix of metals in the windings so are suitable for magnetic & piexo pickups. I use them on my Godin which has both types of pickup and they work quite well. A bit dearer than your normal strings though.

Advertisement